Another chipper accident

/ Another chipper accident #1  

Jstpssng

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota L3301

I look back at the training (none) I had back when I worked for a tree service, and understand how this can happen to the wrong person.
One day the foreman bitched my fellow crew members out because when the time came to drag brush they went off to sharpen their chainsaws while I fed the chipper. In hindsight, I was probably safer working by myself.

/ Another chipper accident #2  
What a shame, predictable,preventable.
To easy to become complacent. I saw some absolutely dumbfounding situations years ago when working for a high end tree service. Each time they get away with a potentially live threatening move they become emboldened to continue with such unsafe practices.

/ Another chipper accident
What a shame, predictable,preventable.
To easy to become complacent. I saw some absolutely dumbfounding situations years ago when working for a high end tree service. Each time they get away with a potentially live threatening move they become emboldened to continue with such unsafe practices.
I worked as ground man for two different tree companies years ago; there was never any type of training involved. It was right as NH Public Service was coming out of bankruptcy and we were clearing the R/W under the wires; the two foremen would drop "Danger Trees" into the adjacent woods, then send me in to limb it and cut the spring poles. I was never sure if it was because I could do it safely; or just because I was the most expendable. :eek:

On a later date, it was just one crew; we used to put our refueling spot under the center wire, so that there was no danger of dropping a tree on it. We were filling up while the foreman was dropping trees... all of a sudden he ran over, screaming at me for being in the way. Apparently a tree got away from him and hit the outside wire. He then spent the rest of the day brushing trees across the same wire, on the theory that any damage was already done. I gave my 2 weeks notice that Friday... it was a good paying job and I needed the money, but not badly enough to die for it.

/ Another chipper accident #4  
How exactly does anyone "accidentally fall into a wood chipper" even happen? :cautious:

/ Another chipper accident
How exactly does anyone "accidentally fall into a wood chipper" even happen? :cautious:
Most likely an article of clothing gets caught on a limb, or they got between a branch and the chipper. In certain events though, you might find somebody pushing on something which got caught on the way in.

/ Another chipper accident #7  
I had a rental set up for a Bandit 65 with rental going to purchase...

Had it hitched and on my card leaving the yard and the guy runs out if the office saying he forgot to copy my contractors license... I'm not a contractor which turns out I could buy but not rent...

Menlo Park where the death occurred isn't far from here and tends to be upscale...

New chippers have lots of safety features... I wonder if this was an old chuck and duck?

Saw a guy have a close one as he fed the tree tip end first and a branch was dragging him in until he hit the reverse bar...

/ Another chipper accident #8  
I can live the rest of my life without ever owning a chipper. Ex FIL had one... and half a hand.
Sometimes the risk outweighs the rewards. I'm going to pass on this attachment

/ Another chipper accident #9  
Some equipment is just inherently dangerous, but we get complacent after using it without incident.

Chippers and chainsaws are always waiting to get you if you aren't observant.

I was being shown a 15-ton press one time where the operator had to reach up with each hand and hit a separate switch. Safe right? #%$@ thing cycled for no reason while we were standing there and I told them there was no way I was getting anywhere near that machine ever again. The metal shears scared the bejeezus out of me as well.

/ Another chipper accident #10  
I saw that article - fortunately they did not go into specific details nor provide graphic pictures. Like Jstpssng said - probably a piece of clothing got stuck and pulled in.

I have a chipper and use it every spring. Thinning and chipping my pine stands. I've had friends come out to help. It's truly amazing how really stupid some folks can be. Stick their hand down the throat to loosen a limb - while the chipper is going full bore. After that one incident - stopped the entire operation and spent the next 30 minutes discussing chipper safety. With the unit off - had each one feel how VERY SHARP the knives were. Last thing I want is a chipper accident.

It all ended the way I wanted it anyway. They drag the trees over to me - I put them down the throat of the chipper. Everyone is happy - healthy - safe.