Animal stealing dog toys???

/ Animal stealing dog toys??? #1  

Zerk

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland 2120
I've got a dog yard fenced in with live stock fence. I get rabbits and squirrels in there. Lots of coyotes outside the fence. I have not seen racoons or possum in 18 years, but I suppose they are around

Lawn mower finds dog toys in the yard once in awhile, they sneak them out. But today when cutting brush I found about 12-14" dog toy without the stuffing couple hundred yards out. What animal would take it? I hate to think my dogs are getting out, and sneaking back in.

/ Animal stealing dog toys??? #2  
My first reaction was a hawk or other larger bird. Maybe mistook the toy for food? Was the toy shaped like a rabbit or squirrel or other tasty meal?

The bird could have got it, discovered it was not a meal then dropped outside the fence where any number of animals could have torn the stuffing out.

/ Animal stealing dog toys??? #3  
Had a hawk dive on a small - roll around - garden seat. He found - it was plastic - was too heavy for him to lift - was not food.

He just flew off. He looked pissed.

/ Animal stealing dog toys??? #4  
Also agree something with feathers.

/ Animal stealing dog toys??? #5  
I covered a garden row with plastic mulch, and left the unfinished roll attached. The next day I found that ravens or crows had destroyed it, apparently thinking it was a trash bag.

I hope that the OP puts out a camera. This sounds like a mystery comparable to holes in the floor.

/ Animal stealing dog toys???
We do have lots of hawks. It is a duck, so it is brown, and sorta animal looking. I have been meaning to put cameras out again. Dogs have been going nuts, and find deer bones. Curious how close the coyotes are.

/ Animal stealing dog toys??? #7  
Raccoons do some weird things. I have landscape lights on my deck that are open on the bottom. The raccoons will pull the little light bulbs out of these, I’ve seen it happen is how I know it happens.

Raccoon is what i was thinking. They most be around, be never them or bodies on road in the general vicinity.

/ Animal stealing dog toys??? #9  
I lost a young Lab to the local coyotes. He was only two years old. The coyote that came as a "lure" was obviously in heat. She came right up to him - smiled at him - lured him down into the creek valley. There were three other coyotes waiting - they had him for breakfast.

No amount of calling, shouting could deter my Lab - nor the female coyote. I learned a valuable lesson.

This is wild, nature out here - - not some park in an urban setting.

You saw it happen? Awful. I worry I got coyotes here and wolves and camp.

They have been close lately and dogs want to go bark, but I keep them in when close. Livestock fence just keeps them in cause they like it here.