Angle Grinder(s) - Lost Their Smoke

/ Angle Grinder(s) - Lost Their Smoke #21  
A little off topic, but I have a nice DeWalt jig saw. Minimal use over the years. The wheel that the blade rides in has broken. Guess which part is the only part that is no longer available. It use to be that you paid good money for a quality tool that would stand up to use. Now I feel they are all junk. Just get the one you like. I have been migrating to Bauer at HF.

/ Angle Grinder(s) - Lost Their Smoke #22  
Once you let the magic smoke out they are pretty much done.

Now if they were made in England you could try that Lucas OEM Smoke in a Bottle that we use in British sports cars when the wiring system starts to leak its smoke. Still available at most BMC dealers.

/ Angle Grinder(s) - Lost Their Smoke #24  
I have two angle grinders (DEWALT and Bosch) that have been used on concrete a fair amount and on their last use both started smoking and quit working.

Is there any chance a brush replacement would restore them to working condition?
A big ”NO”. Not worth the effort. Go buy new ones. Concrete dust is the death to electric tools. Best chance of survival is to blow them out with compressed air after each use.

/ Angle Grinder(s) - Lost Their Smoke #25  
Wen makes a quality angle grinder for $25 pretty good review here

Wow. I have 2 older Dewalt grinders, but I've thought of getting a couple of cheap ones to hold different disks on so I don't have to swap them out.

That Wen looks like a great option. $23 right now.

/ Angle Grinder(s) - Lost Their Smoke #26  
Yep... those jobs that look like tool killers are just the ones for a cheap Harbor Freight tool. You buy it knowing it's a throw-away tool to get a job done, and many have held up better under those conditions than I would have expected. If it survives, you have a spare tool for the next dirty job that comes up, or when your good tool finally bites the dust. Also, when a neighbor wants to borrow a tool, you always loan the Harbor Freight tool, for all the same reasons.

/ Angle Grinder(s) - Lost Their Smoke #27  
Next time, buy Ridgid brand from Home Depot, jump through the registration hoops and you are set: Unlimited lifetime warranty on both tool and batteries.

/ Angle Grinder(s) - Lost Their Smoke #28  
It could be rewound at a motor repair shop most likely BUT the cost would be more than a new grinder. I have a nice old 9 inch jobber and thats what I ran into so its under the bench in the junk

/ Angle Grinder(s) - Lost Their Smoke #29  
It could be rewound at a motor repair shop most likely BUT the cost would be more than a new grinder. I have a nice old 9 inch jobber and thats what I ran into so its under the bench in the junk
I have a buddy who owns/runs a motor repair shop. He tells me that Chinese "smoke" smells different than other "smoke". He knows how to rewind most any thing, won't if it's not worth it.

/ Angle Grinder(s) - Lost Their Smoke #30  
no doubt the abrasive dust did both grinders in.

on the operator's side, i see a lot of residential, commercial, & public works concrete being cut in construction all the time. generally, 90% of the construction workers don't wear masks, safety glasses, or ear protectors.
hell, replace the Bosh, it's toast.... but when you start coughing or lose your sight & hearing?...don't know what to say on that

Tractor & Equipment Auctions

Pallet of ER90S-B3 36"x1/8", Approx. 350# Welding Rod (A33349)
Pallet of ER90S-B3...
New EGN EG360T Skid Steer Loader (A34302)
New EGN EG360T...
Massey Ferguson 1150 Salvage Tractor (A33041)
Massey Ferguson...
2004 Ford F-450 Pickup Truck (A33113)
2004 Ford F-450...
Chery 6' 10 Drawer Workbench (A33391)
Chery 6' 10 Drawer...
Pump (A33041)
Pump (A33041)