Angle Grinder(s) - Lost Their Smoke

/ Angle Grinder(s) - Lost Their Smoke #11  
Agree on HF angle grinders. I too grease the gear box and only smoked one, doing concrete! If you can have a good size blowing dust away from you helps. The new shields with a shop vac do help a great deal.

/ Angle Grinder(s) - Lost Their Smoke #12  
Some of the more popular as well as some of the expensive angle grinders have aftermarket armatures available. I have seen some available as low as $20 . It would be worth while to take the two you have apart and check what parts they need and see what is available.
I was given a HF angle grinder years ago to finish up welding job . It was on sale for 5.99 back then. It vibrated, was noisy and smelled like burning plastic, but it was still running at the end of the day.

/ Angle Grinder(s) - Lost Their Smoke #13  
I have been running the same Black and Decker 6 inch angle grinder for about 30 years and the only problem was the shaft lock failed so I have to use a pair of wrenches to switch out wheels.

/ Angle Grinder(s) - Lost Their Smoke
I have been running the same Black and Decker 6 inch angle grinder for about 30 years and the only problem was the shaft lock failed so I have to use a pair of wrenches to switch out wheels.
The Bosch one was from the 1980s that My Dad had.

I am pretty sure the concrete did both in.

/ Angle Grinder(s) - Lost Their Smoke #17  
I have a Bosch that I have no idea how old it is. Dad gave it to me a hundred years ago and it was used then. Still going strong and it is my go to grinder. I guess they used some really special "magic smoke" when it was built because I have not been kind to it. Only thing I have ever had to do is replace the power cord... several times.

/ Angle Grinder(s) - Lost Their Smoke #18  
Wen makes a quality angle grinder for $25 pretty good review here

Last edited:
   / Angle Grinder(s) - Lost Their Smoke #20  
I have a 9" Makita monster from the 1970s. All I've ever done to it is replace the deteriorated rubber power cord. You'd better be hanging on to it tightly when you pull the trigger, 'cause it's got a lot of torque. Sharpens mower blades n a jiffy!