Amsoil Small Engine 10w30 small engine oil in kohler command ch670

/ Amsoil Small Engine 10w30 small engine oil in kohler command ch670 #11  
Kohler is actually now marketing kits with Amsoil and 300 hour oil filters should you have interest. It seems that really the only noticeable lube issues in things now a days are lack of lube or extreme neglect. Standard OPE oil w/ zinc additives are great for most folks. Synthetics AOK too. Even that, cams aren't wearing that wouldn't have anyways due to using standard oil...

/ Amsoil Small Engine 10w30 small engine oil in kohler command ch670 #12  
I'll disagree with you. It will definitely work better preventing rust during the off season than any other oil, it will also do better preventing viscosity shearing and sludge buildup than most oils out there. It also has proven to lower operating temperatures.

As a dealer or PC you also don't pay much more for Amsoil's proven top performance than other oils.

I was initially a skeptic decades ago as well but after tons of research I constantly saw Amsoil was highly regarded and testing always showed it was one of the best if not the best and I decide to try it myself.
Now after decades of using several Amsoil products first hand I agree, Amsoil is the best available.
As before: Amsoil = highly hyped snake oil!

/ Amsoil Small Engine 10w30 small engine oil in kohler command ch670 #13  
Isn’t small engine oil supposed to be non detergent ?

I think older manuals did for some reason or another, but this is straight outts the Kohler Command Pro 27hp manual:

"We recommend use of Kohler oils for best performance. Other high-quality detergent oils (including synthetic) of API (American Petroleum Institute) service class SJ or higher are acceptable."
The fear was that with a dipper type oil slinger like what was used in the K series Kohlers was that the dipping action would create foaming of the oil. Hasn't been a thing since the 70's

/ Amsoil Small Engine 10w30 small engine oil in kohler command ch670 #14  
As before: Amsoil = highly hyped snake oil!
Sorry, I disagree. I have seen many, many test reports by them and other independent companies and Amsoil products are always rated in the top 3 for different tests and performance and usually is the top.

In those tests results a lot of the more advertised oils are often at the bottom of performance, even failing some tests. Those might qualify for the highly hyped snake oil, Amsoil does not.

/ Amsoil Small Engine 10w30 small engine oil in kohler command ch670 #15  
Sorry, I disagree. I have seen many, many test reports by them and other independent companies and Amsoil products are always rated in the top 3 for different tests and performance and usually is the top.

In those tests results a lot of the more advertised oils are often at the bottom of performance, even failing some tests. Those might qualify for the highly hyped snake oil, Amsoil does not.
I have long ago personal experience with that "snake oil"!
Transmission quit shifting after draining, and 3K with Amsoil!
Drained, and flushed twice with OEM fluid, and filter, ....all OK then for next 100K.
"Snake oil" ....never again !

Last edited:
   / Amsoil Small Engine 10w30 small engine oil in kohler command ch670 #16  
Transmission quit shifting after draining, and 3K with Amsoil!
Drained, and flushed twice with OEM fluid, and filter, ....all OK then for next 100K.
"Snake oil" ....never again !
I believe we discussed that in another thread before. Sounds like the stronger detergents in the Amsoil freed up some sludge and clogged a passageway very common when the previous oil/fluid wasn't doing its job.
The 2 flushes you did cleaned it out.

/ Amsoil Small Engine 10w30 small engine oil in kohler command ch670 #17  

Never again !

I believe we discussed that in another thread before. Sounds like the stronger detergents in the Amsoil freed up some sludge and clogged a passageway very common when the previous oil/fluid wasn't doing its job.
The 2 flushes you did cleaned it out.
Maybe.......but I ain't plannin to try that Amsoil experiment ever again!

/ Amsoil Small Engine 10w30 small engine oil in kohler command ch670 #18  
That may not be a good thing. Detergent oil is supposed to change color indicating that it's cleaning the engine. I used Quaker State 10W30 for years in an old Cub 1450 and it was spotless inside when I dropped the pan after 1000 hours.
Bob B.
No. Had an old JD 14SB mower with Kawasaki engine. Oil (Mobil 1) was ALWAYS crystal clear, even before a yearly change.

/ Amsoil Small Engine 10w30 small engine oil in kohler command ch670 #19  
Isn’t small engine oil supposed to be non detergent ?

If it doesn’t have a filter to take the suspended particles out, that was the conventional thinking. However, most non detergent oils have the bottom of the barrel additive packages, making detergent oils a better choice in engines without an oil pump or filter as well.

/ Amsoil Small Engine 10w30 small engine oil in kohler command ch670 #20  
Amsoil is certainly a top tier oil. Using it in a Kohler or any other air cooled engine provides excellent protection during extreme hot & cold operation. Oil doesn’t darken because it’s cleaning it darkens because it’s breaking down due to heat and accumulating and reacting with combustion contaminants. Synthetic oil will stay cleaner because they resist thermal break down better and because they don’t readily combine & react with combustion byproducts. I use synthetics in all my engines. I have seen first hand the benefits of synthetics in high HP hydro mechanical transmissions. They maintain viscosity several times longer than conventional mineral oils. If you use regular mineral lubricants and don’t experience extreme heat or cold temperatures and change it on a regular schedule there may be no benefit to use synthetics.
90cummins