Aluminum mig welding question

/ Aluminum mig welding question #1  

Lucky Dog

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 65
I'm trying to learn how to mig weld aluminum.

I have a Lincoln 210mp with a spool gun, and argon.

My question is that when I pull the trigger, the wire hits the piece, but there is no arc for a split second. I can feel the wire push back on the gun before it starts welding. Sometimes the wire will push off to the side and out of the weld area.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

/ Aluminum mig welding question #2  
Bad ground is the first thought

/ Aluminum mig welding question #3  
Either bad ground or dirty material. Aluminum has to be super clean where your welding and also where your ground clamp is.

/ Aluminum mig welding question
Thanks for the replies. I'll check my ground. I make sure the aluminum is clean, but to be honest, have not looked at the ground clamp. Maybe that needs a little cleaning also.

Thanks!

/ Aluminum mig welding question #5  
Notorious problem- a lot of folks replace them.

/ Aluminum mig welding question #6  
1> Plastic liner in mig gun, 2>Smooth drive rolls, 3> Contact tip one size bigger, 4> Good ground, 5> A book with list of curse words............

/ Aluminum mig welding question #7  
5> memorize to save time. Write down newly created phrases for future reference.

/ Aluminum mig welding question #8  
1> Plastic liner in mig gun, 2>Smooth drive rolls, 3> Contact tip one size bigger, 4> Good ground, 5> A book with list of curse words............

I think OP is trying the spool gun. 5 applies to both though!!

/ Aluminum mig welding question #9  
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^:thumbsup: 6> Open window before throwing hammer.

/ Aluminum mig welding question #10  
I think OP is trying the spool gun. 5 applies to both though!!

No spool gun, the last time I mig welded aluminum I replaced liner with a plastic liner, but just remember to take it back out for steel welding. Although a spool gun might be a good option and my Miller Matic is built for it but I dont know.