Allis b12 sickle bar

/ Allis b12 sickle bar #1  

plastikosmd

Veteran Member
Day off today, started the next project(s)

What痴 better than one broken sicklebar mower?

two!

These mowers fit on the simplicity or Allis garden tractors ( I own a b12)

Time to make one functional mower and then start to possibly fix our rebuild the other or sell as parts

/ Allis b12 sickle bar #2  
Cool project plastikosmd. I did this exact thing (sort of) last winter/spring. I found a cherry Haban for an old school Case garden tractor. I think it was made in the late 60's. My tractor being a newer (1990) 448 and the current hitch type, things needed re-engineered and fabed. I mounted and used it during spring. Over this winter I'm going to "restore" it and re-engineer the lifting mech to something a little more modern and easier. Given the laws that govern these, I'm sure these units are older as well. I was surprised at how well engineered the Haban was.

/ Allis b12 sickle bar
Sounds cool!
U take pics?

/ Allis b12 sickle bar #4  
Very cool, I've got one in the shed for my early model Landlord, hopefully one day when my kids get a little older I'll re-restore it.
Was my second Simplicity and spent a lot of time as a kid using the mid grader blade clearing snow.

/ Allis b12 sickle bar
Was just using the grader this weekend

/ Allis b12 sickle bar #6  
I love the grader, never did it but always planned on adding foot .o and mounts so it would be easier to stand on when providing down pressure.

/ Allis b12 sickle bar #7  
I do have pics. I'll get them loaded up sometime soon. First goal was to get mounted properly. Check. Second was to figure out the wacky lift mechanism. Super interesting and confusing. Check. (But. I will re-engineer to give myself more comfort/usability and make it a bit more safe.) Then use to cut down tall grass and cat tails in the spring (2018). Check. Now in the re-engineer lift and resto mod stage. All broken down ready to bead blast. I'm doing the tractor unit at the same time. It's gone from the weekly mower to a only as-needed machine. Time for some TLC.

/ Allis b12 sickle bar #8  
Looks like you have an early and late version of the sickle bar? If I remember right the later models had a cable lift where the early ones just had the handle (the A-C yellow one in the pics).

Mine is an early version with just a handle.
Just as a note, another company made them Simplicity and other brands, mine has a few Wheel Horse red replacement pieces on it.

/ Allis b12 sickle bar
Yep both versions, I may use manual lift as I will run a weed cutter on front and use hydro lift for that

Getting ready to tig the bar back together
Dual vices are handy

/ Allis b12 sickle bar
What once was a race for needle bearings, bearings ground to dust