Air show collision: B17 and P63

/ Air show collision: B17 and P63 #22  
I'm also certain they are flying with no restrictions or very, very limited restrictions in regards to safety.
The FAA prescribes extensive restrictions on airshow pilots. That includes special certifications, altitude restrictions, restriction of flight over people, stands, and crowds, etc.

Notice that no one on the ground was killed or injured. That was not just a weird coincidence. The aircraft were not over the spectator areas due to the many restrictions that apply.

This is also why the accident a few years ago in Reno, NV was unusual. It involved people in the grandstands-- what the restrictions are in place to prevent. A close friend of mine barely survived being a spectator there.

/ Air show collision: B17 and P63 #23  
Just amazing how the entire wing of the B17 separated from the fuselage. In all of the war film footage of B17s taking on damage, never seen anything like that.

/ Air show collision: B17 and P63 #24  
Just amazing how the entire wing of the B17 separated from the fuselage. In all of the war film footage of B17s taking on damage, never seen anything like that.
The P63 actually cut the fuselage off right behind the wing. The wing and front fuselage then fell together.

/ Air show collision: B17 and P63 #25  

I was surprised it broke completely in half in a low speed crash.

/ Air show collision: B17 and P63 #26  
As ruffdog remarked, the fighter sliced the fuselage in two.

I didn't mean to imply that FAA doesn't enforce restrictions at airshows. My comment was in regards to allowing two aircraft to fly that close together. The Fighter Pilot lost orientation as to the location of the Bomber when in his blind spot. Their close proximity facilitated the contact.

My Dad was a ground crew member in support of the Eight Air Force stationed in England during WWII. I grew up hearing stories of the B17 Flying Fortress and the B24 Liberator. When Dad returned to the States after the War it was in a B17.

/ Air show collision: B17 and P63 #27  
A Flying Fortress and a Douglas C-47 Skytrain also called Dakota came to our tiny local airport many years ago. The event might have been called a display. If there was a show, I missed it. The Dakota happened to fly , past my house on the way in. It flew so low I was afraid it was about to crash and was relieved to find it safe and sound when we got to the airport.

The thing that impressed me about the Flying Fortress was how little space it had inside. I guess payload area was sacrificed for armament and that's what made it a fortress.

Last edited:
   / Air show collision: B17 and P63 #28  
Such a tragic loss of lives and historic WWII birds, I got a ride in Sentimental Journey this summer when the Commemorate Air Fore came through in NW MT this summer with a B17 and a B25 Mitchell.

/ Air show collision: B17 and P63 #29  
I just read about that. At the time of the article they had no idea how many people were on the planes, or if anyone on the ground was caught in the crash.
5 on the b-17 and the pilot on the P-63, no ground injuries. Sending prayers for their families.

/ Air show collision: B17 and P63 #30  
I've been in a b-17 or two over the years which makes be wonder if this was one. I like to check them out since my uncle was lost while fighting in one off the Dutch coast and his plane was never recovered. Sad, sad loss of life.