After Market Front End Loader 1978 MF 230

/ After Market Front End Loader 1978 MF 230 #1  

Daniel Roso

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 230, 38 HP 2WD Diesel
Greetings, I am looking to get a Front-end loader kit for 1978 MF 230 2WD Diesel Tractor. I live in Washington State.

/ After Market Front End Loader 1978 MF 230 #2  
This is something like you will be looking for this one runs off aux pump if it has one or three point pump slow but works they also make a kit for font mounted pump with shaft and coupler off front pulley had to have hole front axle pin

/ After Market Front End Loader 1978 MF 230 #3  

2-WD drive tractors often struggle to push a FEL bucket into dirt. Plan on buying a bucket tooth bar.

Few here would recommend adding a FEL to a 1978 tractor. Too many expensive hydraulic bits required in addition to the aftermarket FEL.

/ After Market Front End Loader 1978 MF 230 #4  
Greetings, I am looking to get a Front-end loader kit for 1978 MF 230 2WD Diesel Tractor. I live in Washington State.
Sounds good. If you have a good MF230 and particularly if it has the power steering option then that would be a fine rig.
There used to be a couple of small manufacturers making after market loaders in Washington state - so you are situated in a good place to find a loader. Maybe you can even find an old MF loader.
Your hydraulic specs on the MF230 look decent for hydralic flow. Not high flow, but plenty good enough to get it working. If it is too slow, improving it later is easy.
You want to get a standard two lever loader control valve with a built in relief valve and a float detent on one of the circuits. Make sure your loader control valve is the kind that has a power beyond (PB) port and also buy the adapter sleeve for PB. Often the loader control valves offer a selection of thread types for the hydraulic hose ends. Ask around or get something that matches the rest of the loader. No biggie, there are adapters if you get the wrong one.

After that it's bolting and plumbing. You may decide to disconnect the far end of the high pressure line that comes out of the hydraulic pump and run it instead into the IN port of the Loader control valve. Then run a hydraulic line from the PB port (don't forget the PB sleeve) back to where ever that high pressure line used to go. Add a next size larger return line from the R port on the loader control valve which runs to return unused flow back into the hydraulic sump on the tractor. Sometimes there is an unused pipe plug on the transmission cover or rear end just for that purpose.

Good Luck,
rScotty