Advice, rain down exhaust

/ Advice, rain down exhaust #11  
I read all replies but I don't believe you are curious to know if I read #3. What i think you are actually curious about is why I posted almost the same advice so here's the answer. Bad advice is and might again be posted so the best I can do is repeat what i believe is best for op. Satisfy your curiosity?
You answered the question, so yea satisfied, good work, we can out vote the bad guys:)

/ Advice, rain down exhaust #12  
I have a deere 950 with a 3 cyl. yanmar diesel. A big storm blew through and caught the tractor outside with the pipe off the exhaust. Not sure how much rain got into the exhaust but a ball jar resting on a log nearby had about 3" of water in it. What should I do?

It's hard to give advice without knowing a bit more. Some Yanmars had a symmetrical 4 bolt mounting for the muffler to manifold connection so that the muffler could be mounted upright or horizontally. We had two and both were that way. You say that the pipe was off the exhaust, but don't say which way the muffler itself is mounted. If it is horizontal I doubt there is a problem.

Even if the muffler is vertical, some had a pinhole drain in the bottom. Our smaller Yanmar does. If yours does, check it. Maybe rain water in the muffler just drains through.

It might also be worthwhile to just have a look at the way the exhaust manifold is made. I don't know how your exhaust manifold is configured relative to the exhaust ports, but you can figure out the worst case by looking at the casting from the outside. That Yanmar engine has overhead valves. On our present tractor the exhaust gases go horizontally and then down in the manifold before connecting to the muffler. It would take a whole lot of water to fill that system up enough to wet the engine.

What I am saying is that without some more information all we can do is guess at how yours is built. And that not knowing how your particular tractor is built just leads to confusion about what to do. Posting some photos might help, too.

But regardless of what you decide, I'd turn it over by hand first. As said, that's what I do.
rScotty

Last edited:
   / Advice, rain down exhaust #13  
I have a deere 950 with a 3 cyl. yanmar diesel. A big storm blew through and caught the tractor outside with the pipe off the exhaust. Not sure how much rain got into the exhaust but a ball jar resting on a log nearby had about 3" of water in it. What should I do?

You have two weeks before it sticks. Seen a guy hit the starter while I was saying no no no, bent rod at that moment. By hand is the only way.

/ Advice, rain down exhaust
The muffler is vertical, makes a 90* sweep to horiz. into manifold which is on the side of the engine, not top. No goosneck or pinhole in the muffler casting I can see. There is an extension on the muffler with a little rain stopping bend at top. I had that off for getting under some low clearance area when the tractor had a ground issue and stopped turning over. I broke for lunch before getting to cleaning contacts and that is when the storm blew in.

/ Advice, rain down exhaust #15  
Just pull the compression relief and bump it over. If there is no resistance,then crank it .

/ Advice, rain down exhaust
OK, Where do I find the compression relief?

/ Advice, rain down exhaust #17  
If it has it,it's under the left of dash,the later models don't have compression relief.

/ Advice, rain down exhaust #18  
Yes, it's not his tractor and it might be ok.
I don't see how 3" of rain down the muffler hole can get much water past the exhaust valves.
/edit - but then it's not my tractor either
It's just fine, I had one sit out in the weather for months, it started right up and was fine.

He will probably need a therapist by the time all the "doomsayers" and "experts" get done with him in here!!

SR

/ Advice, rain down exhaust #19  
I have two tractors with exhaust pipes that go straight up from the hood. When I bought them used, they had spent their life with the pipes open to the elements. It never occurred to me that there was any risk or danger of starting them up after it rained. Eventually, the mufflers rusted out, which was expensive, so now I put a coffee can over them when I'm not using them. If I forget to put the coffee can over it, and I'm surprised by a heavy down pour, I just start it up like normal and get to work.

I'm at a loss as to what the issue is?

/ Advice, rain down exhaust #20  
I've seen lots of tractors sitting outside at dealer lots with vertical exhausts. Never seen one there with a coffee can on top of it. While I agree that it is good practice not to allow water in as best you can, surely tractors are manufactured to be outside in the rain?