Ballast Advice on unloading rear tires for transport.

/ Advice on unloading rear tires for transport. #1  

caliber1

Tractor
John Deere 3120
Just wondering if anyone here knew the best way to unload my rears for transport, and what is the best thing to load them with when I get there? It is a 3120 with R4s.

/ Advice on unloading rear tires for transport. #2  
I am sure many will weigh in on this, but there are small little pumps to load them with... there have been several threads on this..

A few thoughts-- Make sure you get the tires off the ground when you unload them.. I would not wnat to break the bead and have to reseat it!

Why unload them? is your towing vehicle already at close the weight limit with them loaded?

will you be storing the beet juice you remove?
Will you be taking it with you?

J

/ Advice on unloading rear tires for transport. #3  
i forgot how i unloaded mine...one had a blowout so i replaced both. i used the pump to put it back in. i suspect i put the stem to the bottom and pumped it out also.

i had calcium, but i used tubes.

/ Advice on unloading rear tires for transport. #4  
My guess is since he's from Florida it's straight water.

Tractor Supply sells a hose adaptor to fill tires. I would jack the rears up and pull the valve stem core at Six O'clock. Wait till no more water comes out, replace the core and air.

When I got to where I was going. Jack the rears and fill with water with the adaptor with the stem at say 2 O'clock. There will propbably be enough air still there but check it with the stem at 12.

/ Advice on unloading rear tires for transport.
I am sure many will weigh in on this, but there are small little pumps to load them with... there have been several threads on this..

A few thoughts-- Make sure you get the tires off the ground when you unload them.. I would not wnat to break the bead and have to reseat it!

Why unload them? is your towing vehicle already at close the weight limit with them loaded?

will you be storing the beet juice you remove?
Will you be taking it with you?

J

Not sure what the dealer loaded them with. The transport will be from central Florida to northern Wisconsin. Just didn't want to haul that extra weight that far. Figured with the attachments and tractor, that would be a good load for my Super Duty. The truck doesn't mnd it with the loaded tires, but haven't hauled everything at once either.

The move was also why I asked what to load them with when I get there, as we don't worry about freezing here. LOL

/ Advice on unloading rear tires for transport. #6  
now that is a haul.... PUN INTENDED!!

hmm.. yeah I see the reason for unloading..you will have a "few mountains to cross"

Not sure where in FL you are, but check for the detours when you drive up..
I-40 between Asheville, NC and Tennessee is still closed.. Likely for a few more weeks... (A rock slide occured in Oct)

Let us know how it works out..

and pictures are always welcome...:thumbsup:

/ Advice on unloading rear tires for transport.
now that is a haul.... PUN INTENDED!!

hmm.. yeah I see the reason for unloading..you will have a "few mountains to cross"

Not sure where in FL you are, but check for the detours when you drive up..
I-40 between Asheville, NC and Tennessee is still closed.. Likely for a few more weeks... (A rock slide occured in Oct)

Let us know how it works out..

and pictures are always welcome...:thumbsup:

I usually go 75 to 24 and cross the mountains there. Lets see if I can get a pic on here.

Attachments

• New Image.jpg
    New Image.jpg
    236.6 KB · Views: 202
   / Advice on unloading rear tires for transport. #8  
Pulling with a powerstroke? Why, I'd leave the fluid in.

/ Advice on unloading rear tires for transport. #9  
I would think even if you were filled with rim guard or calcuim (calcium not used much any more) both which are heavier than the methanol/water mix that most dealers use today, you could be looking at no more than 700lbs + or - a few. I wouldn't even worry about emptying them. Of course I drive a Duramax Dually, so I really don't worry about weight while pulling anything; my Toy hauler 5er weighs between 16 & 17K depending on if I'm dry camping & how may Harleys are in the back!

/ Advice on unloading rear tires for transport. #10  
Personally, I'd leave the fluid in the tires. If it's not water and is something that is freeze resistant, any small fuel savings will be offset by the costs of refilling the tires.

If it is water, then...
Jack the tractor, deflate the tires at the 12 O'Clock position and remove the valve core. Put a hose of some sort over the valve stem and rotate the tire until you see liquid coming out. Don't rotate the tire with the valve stem at 6 O'Clock...there'd be no way to vent and the liquid would not drain...rotate it just enough to start draining.
BTW, you'll want jackstands (both sides) under the axles, not just a jack.
You can do both sides simultaneously.
If it's just water, I suppose you can let it drain on the ground. If it's windshield washer fluid or CaCl, you'll need a container of some sort.
This is going to be slow going. That valve stem hole isn't very big.

Even if it is water, I guess I'd still leave it in for the trip. If the tractor is going to stay in WI, you'll have to go to another liquid with a lower freezing point, but you may as well do the draining and refilling all in one set up.

That 3120 probably has 15-19.5 tires. I'd guess each has 30-40 gallons in it.

Last edited: