Advice needed on corn field

/ Advice needed on corn field
First, I have never heard of anybody transplanting corn after it comes up. Why in the world are you doing that? Get you one of those cheap walk behind planters and put the seed in the ground

The NC State gardening guide and other publications say transplanting is optional. I'm just doing a few trays for fun. The rest will be planted with an Earthway seeder.
thanks for the info

/ Advice needed on corn field #12  
A lot of people start sweet corn indoors to get an early start on the season. Usually people with too much time on their hands.... or people that live in areas with short growing seasons.

/ Advice needed on corn field #13  
I have not seen or heard of anybody doing that here.

I thought something else we did with the big garden a few years ago. The six types of corn were all spaced out with green beans, lima beans, squash, or something else between types. That further separated them.

We also had one year that had only two types planted and neither produced any ears. The county agent came out and looked at the garden but didn't have any idea what happened. The only thing we can figure out is that is rained heavily for the two or three weeks that the plants were producing pollen and the pollen was washed to the ground. There were no ears at all on the plants.

RSKY

/ Advice needed on corn field #14  
A lot of people start sweet corn indoors to get an early start on the season. Usually people with too much time on their hands.... or people that live in areas with short growing seasons.

Guaranteed to have sweetcorn by the 4th of July.....is that cheating?

/ Advice needed on corn field #15  
Drew - Are you going to irrigate or run a hose if your area goes into drought?

/ Advice needed on corn field #16  
Cross pollination will definitely change taste and eating quality of sweet corn.
If you are near field corn, your corn will be less sweet,, and the corn will be "tender" for about half the time.

Tests showed GM corn grown in Texas crossed with non-GM corn in Mexico 400 miles away,,

It is pretty tough to avoid.,,,

Roundup isn't the worst issue,, 2,4-D within 1/4 mile of your tomatoes is a concern!! :eek:

/ Advice needed on corn field #17  
My brother planted several varieties of corn for years. Unless you separate it enough, you get mixed results.

/ Advice needed on corn field
I appreciate the feedback. Went out again today and eyeballed the area. I have two areas, one five rows wide with ten feet center pathway, then another five rows wide, then another ten feet to the next rental area, which is a single 8 row wide field.
So a five, a five and an eight.
Thinking of putting the SilverQueen and Peaches 'n Cream in one field, the 8 row one. Then in the field with two five row sections, keeping the yellow corn on one side of that middle pathway, and the white corn on the other.
5 rows of each variety, separated by a space between varieties.

Yes to irrigation; just ran a one inch pipe from house over to garden, backed up by 1.5hp sprinkler pump.
Have elevated sprinklers, figured I'd set them up in the middle pathway between the corn and water that way.

I realize that some of my corn may come out as mutts, but as long as it's good eating mutts...;)
I have a ton of drip hose but using that elsewhere. If we get a drought, one way or the other this will get watered.

/ Advice needed on corn field #19  
Spraying or dusting no doubt is the applicators legal concern. You just have to figure out who it was. That often can be a simple call to the farmer who's crop was treated for they don't want the responsibility. It can create real issue for the applicator and they if have a brain rather settle with you than a formal complaint file much less a law suit. Well so County Agent told me when we lost some goldfish. Yes they paid when we confronted them.

/ Advice needed on corn field #20  
First, I have never heard of anybody transplanting corn after it comes up. Why in the world are you doing that? Get you one of those cheap walk behind planters and put the seed in the ground.
RSKY
good way to beat the crows