Adding wired remote to winch - is this dumb?

/ Adding wired remote to winch - is this dumb? #11  
If you have a fixed mount winch switch and can only operate it from operator station, I'll find a slight incline put the hook on a stationary object slowly spool it out or if your careful and slow free spool it, Engage winch and winch it back turning your wheels side to side running a couple seconds on each side it's never failed me yet. Another trick I've learned if it's a tangled rats nest is loop the cable around a stationary object freespool winch using power from the ATV or sxs to slowly pull the cable out. Than go to my first half of comment to respool. By winching up to stationary object the weight of your equipment keeps the line taught. Both methods have always worked for steel cable for me anyway.

Last edited:
   / Adding wired remote to winch - is this dumb?
Good advice on solo work from operator seat, never thought of the wheel side to side trick. Have found pulling anything, even as simple and light as a piece of firewood, helpful for spooling when alone.

In any case, I've gone and McGyver-wired the winch as I floated in my original message. Things are working fine so far, and I haven't been accidentially draining the battery (in part since I've taken care to remove the wired remote whenever not using). Only problem is I now have to do the work, I no longer have the excuse that it's better to wait until when I have a helper!

(I agree off-brand wireless would likely have been a better choice if I were buying the components new, but this way I used what I already had. Thanks for all the advice!)

/ Adding wired remote to winch - is this dumb? #13  
wireless is the way to go, installed another last month and sadly ordered the parts from China, locally its a 150 dollar bill China twenty five dollars, easy install only down side is the battery in the remote drains sitting, I do carry a spare battery in the glove box

the one thing I have noticed with the remote or at least the two from China when winding in or out there is a slight delay in winch staying activated when remote button is released, best guess is a few inches of winding, easy to figure it in the pull but worth noting on this brand

/ Adding wired remote to winch - is this dumb? #14  
I have the same wireless remote as shown in previous pic & it works great. Battery no problem in remote, first one lasted 6 years then replaced. I do switch the remote to off when I’m not using it. Maybe why battery lasts so long.

/ Adding wired remote to winch - is this dumb? #15  
My Kawasaki Mule has a Warn 2500 lb winch, no remote just the switch on the dash.
I've gotten hold of a never-installed Warn wired remote add-on (https://www.warn.com/atv-remote-control-kit-64259) which will help in particular when I'm done winching and winding the rope back in. Alone. Now I will be able to operate while standing in front of the mule, holding the rope under slight tension as it winds back in.

The prescribed wiring diagram has 2 wires representing in/out going to the existing winch relay, and a red "power" wire meant to go in series with the ignition switch, so the switch operates onlywhen ignition is on. All in parallel with existing dash switch.

But I'm lazy to go digging to find the ignition take-off. So I'm tempted to mount the remote control socket at the side of the driver's seat, right by the relay, and connect its power straight to the battery, bypassing ignition. That could theoretically wind in/out (and drain the battery) spuriously when the mule is "off" and I'm nowhere near. But in practice the remote switch won't actually be connected to the socket when I'm away and the socket rain protector will be on, so I don't see how that circuit could get closed.

Am I being dumb?

Alternatively, I guess I could remove the existing dash switch completely and replace it with the wired remote socket, and therefore just piggyback on the ignition take-off that was found by the original dash switch's installer. Safer?

What have people done? I'm really not keen to be splicing both into the relay (by the battery under the seat) as well as hunting around for the ignition splice point under the dash.
On my Rhino it had the remote "plug" mounted on the dash. Gave you the length of the remote cord to move around. Easily reached to the front of the vehicle.

/ Adding wired remote to winch - is this dumb? #16  
I also recommend the wireless control. I have one that came with my cheapo HF 2500# winch and it has worked great for years. Never changed the remote battery. My remote turns off automatically after a minute or 2 of non-use. I use mine to pull ATVs and riding mowers into my Taco's truck bed.

My ATV also has a winch, factory-installed, with handlebar switch. Rarely use it, but it works fine as wired. I can operate it while holding the cable with a gloved hand to get it to spool properly. Can't do that with a UTV.