Adding Lucas hydraulic booster and seal conditioner to a terramite T-5c hydraulics

/ Adding Lucas hydraulic booster and seal conditioner to a terramite T-5c hydraulics #11  
I just repacked the backhoe boom cylinder about two weeks ago. I have never done one before, but I consider myself an above average diy mechanic. It went amazingly well. The retainer wire on mine was broken, or never installed correctly. I got what i could out with vice grips and side cutters. Then I rotated the gland until i found the hook hole. I then used a zip wheel to cut off a stub of the proper sized drill bit to stick in the hook hole. Using the drill bit as a pin I was able to rotate the gland and use the pin to push the rest of the wire out. All of the seals came out and the new ones went back in with standard hand tools (screwdrivers and picks and punches). The only special tool I had was a pin wrench, it wasn't the right size, the pins were smaller than the holes, but it worked.
I went out after dinner just to take it apart and see what I was getting into...and 2 hours later I was done and re-assembled.

Last edited:
   / Adding Lucas hydraulic booster and seal conditioner to a terramite T-5c hydraulics #12  
My advice, find a pin spanner tool on ebay. order a seal kit and give it a go. My tip for success, is to leave the base end attached to the machine during disassembly. The tractor frame will hold it more secure than anything you can do on a bench.

/ Adding Lucas hydraulic booster and seal conditioner to a terramite T-5c hydraulics #13  
A few pictures of the Cylinder guts just for reference:

20210128_175927.jpg

20210128_175916.jpg

20210128_175913.jpg

20210128_175908.jpg

/ Adding Lucas hydraulic booster and seal conditioner to a terramite T-5c hydraulics #14  
These are my notes for repacking a cylinder… If anybody has any other thoughts, tips or suggestions please share...

Rebuilding Hydraulic Cylinder
>>>>>>>>
Only do one cylinder at a time

Hit the pin retainer bolts with PB Blaster a few days/times before pulling the cylinder

Clean the cylinder, hoses and around the cylinder on the machine the best you can

If you don't have a large vice you can break free the spanner bolt on the cylinder while on the machine (after hydro hoses removed)

Bag, tape or cap the hoses after removing from cylinder to keep any dirt from getting in.

Tape or cap the hydro hose fitting on cylinder after removed and fully drained to keep dirt out.

After you pull rod put a clean rag in or sock over cylinder to keep dirt out.

Take pictures before pulling old seals off, note direction any non symmetrical seals

Check rod, edges and lips for any burrs or scuffs and hone with emmary cloth

Coat seals with hydro oil (15W40 for Terramites) before putting on.

Tools:

Impact wrench
Spanner / pin wrench
Other wrenches as needed
Small screw driver, (sand/hone any sharp edges)
Punch, pins, hooks and picks
Emery cloth
Seal/o-ring folding pliers*(never have used but they look cool)
Clean rags and old socks

/ Adding Lucas hydraulic booster and seal conditioner to a terramite T-5c hydraulics #15  
I'm not familiar with seal/o-ring folding pliers. I looked for a picture but couldn't find one. Can you show a picture?

/ Adding Lucas hydraulic booster and seal conditioner to a terramite T-5c hydraulics #16  
Search term : O-Ring Installation Tool

/ Adding Lucas hydraulic booster and seal conditioner to a terramite T-5c hydraulics #17  
   / Adding Lucas hydraulic booster and seal conditioner to a terramite T-5c hydraulics #18  
Ok, some good advice. I'm working on a T5B and would like to repair a couple of the cylinders, especially the front bucket seals. Without going to a "Terramite parts" dealer, how would I go about coming up with the correct replacement seal kit. I do have the Service manual with a full description of how to disassemble/assemble the cylinders which will get me through the process. Hope the picture might help someone else along the way.

Attachments

• T5Bcylinder.jpg
    T5Bcylinder.jpg
    546.9 KB · Views: 162
   / Adding Lucas hydraulic booster and seal conditioner to a terramite T-5c hydraulics #19  
Ok, some good advice. I'm working on a T5B and would like to repair a couple of the cylinders, especially the front bucket seals. Without going to a "Terramite parts" dealer, how would I go about coming up with the correct replacement seal kit. I do have the Service manual with a full description of how to disassemble/assemble the cylinders which will get me through the process. Hope the picture might help someone else along the way.
Do these directions, old as they may be, apply to a specific Terramite models or years these models were produced? Does anyone know where this attachment came from? Thanks!

/ Adding Lucas hydraulic booster and seal conditioner to a terramite T-5c hydraulics #20  
Do these directions, old as they may be, apply to a specific Terramite models or years these models were produced? Does anyone know where this attachment came from? Thanks!
All I can say is that this is the manual that came with the T5B. I would only guess that it would apply to other models they produced at the year ours was built. I also have a parts manual for the T5C model and they had made several upgrades, parking brake, power steering and i believe the seals changed some where with the T5B.