Adding Lucas hydraulic booster and seal conditioner to a terramite T-5c hydraulics

/ Adding Lucas hydraulic booster and seal conditioner to a terramite T-5c hydraulics #1  

phydeaux

Tractor
terramite t5c-3600 ford tractor-ford 9n tractor-ford 145 garder tractor
Seals are leaking on my t-5c actuators. At 250.00 per cylinder is not what I can afford.
I use Lucas products and very satisfied with the results of all.

Need your expertise on this question from the hydraulics gurus.
phydeaux.

/ Adding Lucas hydraulic booster and seal conditioner to a terramite T-5c hydraulics #2  
If it works for you why do you need any other opinions? I happen to think seal conditioners are snake oil and a general waste of money. But results like yours keep Lucas in business and customers satisfied.

/ Adding Lucas hydraulic booster and seal conditioner to a terramite T-5c hydraulics #3  
My one concern is Terramite's use motor oil in the hydro system and based on multiple points of referances if you use hydro fluid, the pump will burn out early... Not sure if the Lucas additive is designed for 15W40 oil... It may stop the leaks but not sure if it is safe on the pump...I would repack the cylinders...

/ Adding Lucas hydraulic booster and seal conditioner to a terramite T-5c hydraulics
The fact that terramite uses motor oil was my concern. I recently paid $250.00 (2-9-21) for repacking the bucket hydraulic cylinder. With my limited income, I cannot afford doing all cylinders. Not crying just a fact. I have used Lucas power steering and transmission additives with excellent results. Was not sure about the hydraulic seal conditioner in motor oil. I will contact Lucas and post the answer.
Thank You for Your answer.
phydeaux

/ Adding Lucas hydraulic booster and seal conditioner to a terramite T-5c hydraulics #5  
It's snake oil. Just thickens the fluid like the old STP oil treatment. It's pricey! I tried some on my backhoe and it didn't change anything.

Just fix the leaks.

/ Adding Lucas hydraulic booster and seal conditioner to a terramite T-5c hydraulics #6  
I tried "seal reconditioned" years ago. It worked for a while. Then all the seals and rings broke apart and made a mess of the entire system. I suspect it may have had some silicone compound in it. That's bad for rubber. Maybe it's improved over the past 20 years. :rolleyes:

Good luck with your additive.

/ Adding Lucas hydraulic booster and seal conditioner to a terramite T-5c hydraulics
I called Lucas and was told to use the Lucas Oil Stop leak. Also to add the maximum to 15% of system capacity. Tractor Guy is right " Just fix the leaks ".
Thanks for all the advice.
phydeaux

/ Adding Lucas hydraulic booster and seal conditioner to a terramite T-5c hydraulics #8  
Seal kit should be $40-$50 per cylinder...you may want to repack them yourself...
The fact that terramite uses motor oil was my concern. I recently paid $250.00 (2-9-21) for repacking the bucket hydraulic cylinder. With my limited income, I cannot afford doing all cylinders. Not crying just a fact. I have used Lucas power steering and transmission additives with excellent results. Was not sure about the hydraulic seal conditioner in motor oil. I will contact Lucas and post the answer.
Thank You for Your answer.
phydeaux

/ Adding Lucas hydraulic booster and seal conditioner to a terramite T-5c hydraulics #9  
I agree. If it works for you, knock yourself out. I would never add an oil, coolant additive or conditioner to anything I value. My thinking? Good Lord, an additive that SWELLS or softens seals!

Something people use prior to selling equipment maybe.

I called Terry at Terrys Terramites, He told me "do not use any thing in the system other what is called for". I am sold on the idea to repack the seals my self. I was an Aviation Structural Mechanic (H)
in the U.S Navy fifty years ago so I am familiar with hydraulics. The problem is the cylinders having a wire lock that locks the gland nut in and will break off if not careful when loosening the gland nut.
Anyone having experience with these cylinders. Any advice will be appreciated.
Thanks again for the help.
phydeaux