Adding a WI FI outlet to plug tractor into.

/ Adding a WI FI outlet to plug tractor into. #21  
I also thought about it, but then that would require me to know ahead of time when I want/need to use the tractor. I have to admit I am not always that well organized. :)

The chance of a WiFi being able to handle more than 15 amps is remote. Personally I wouldn't want to control anything that generates large amounts of heat when I'm not in the nearby vicinity to handle potential circumstances gone awry.

/ Adding a WI FI outlet to plug tractor into. #22  
Lowes sells a system that will interface with Z-wave, Wi-Fi, and another I can't remember the name of, zigbee maybe. Look on their website for information on Iris system. It does some alarm functions, home automation, Wi-Fi video, remote outlets and locks, and much more. Now how good it is at all those things I don't know, just saw the display in the store and read about it on their website.

You can create rules to say turn on a lamp at a certain time or turn on an outlet when the temperature reaches a preset point.

/ Adding a WI FI outlet to plug tractor into.
Capture.JPG

here are the specs on the belkin. it is suppose to handle 1800 watts.

/ Adding a WI FI outlet to plug tractor into. #24  
If your worried about something going wrong you could swap your breaker for an Arc-fault circuit interrupter (AFCI) to give you some added protection.

/ Adding a WI FI outlet to plug tractor into. #25  
For high watt/amp draw devices like a block heater just buy a programmable heavy duty timer and plug it into an outlet and then the heater into it Set it to trip on at a certain time and then unplug it when you get home. Simple, no setup, no wireless BS, and no problems with wi-fi not working, not working remotely, lost signals etc., etc. JMHO

That's what I just did. My barn is too far from the house to use wifi or other remote systems. I bought a heavy duty, weatherproof, timer from Menards for $13. I can mount it on the wall next to an outlet, plug in the short cord and set the correct time and leave it run all the time. I'll keep it set to activate the plug (extension cord) starting at 5:30 am, and running in an on/off/on/off cycle of 30 minutes each. I can leave the tractor plugged in all the time if I want, but I plan to go out the day prior to storms and cold weather and plug it in to the cord then. When I go out at 6 or 7:00 am to start it the next day, it will be toasty warm. It's hard to beat 'cheap, simple and reliable'.

/ Adding a WI FI outlet to plug tractor into. #26  
The chance of a WiFi being able to handle more than 15 amps is remote. Personally I wouldn't want to control anything that generates large amounts of heat when I'm not in the nearby vicinity to handle potential circumstances gone awry.
Most block heaters are 400 watts or so, aren't they?

So if the Wemo handles 1,800 Watts (ie 15 amps @ 120V) that is more than sufficient.

/ Adding a WI FI outlet to plug tractor into. #27  
If the thing you want to control has a greater power requirement than the device that controls it can handle you can use a contactor. The contactor is essentially a big relay. We use them for running 3-phase motors from a control system.

The two least expensive places would be Ebay (new/used) or Automation Direct (new). Look for something with a 120VAC coil unless the power in your house is a different voltage.

If this doesn't make sense I can draw you a schematic.

/ Adding a WI FI outlet to plug tractor into. #28  
Just bought a Wemo so I can turn on a Rinnai heater to warm up the house before we get there. Setting it up in a day or two, I'll keep you posted.

Most block heaters are only 300-400 watts: way less than a toaster or a microwave or even a coffee maker. so I don't understand where these power requirements in excess of 15 Amps / 1,800 watts are coming from.