AC or DC?

/ AC or DC? #1  

orezok

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B7800
No not welders.

I'm looking at getting vertical metal cutting bandsaw. I'm seeing them with both AC and DC motors. Apparently the DC motors are speed variable. DC is more expensive. I'm just a hobbyist and probably would only use it several times a month when doing some "maker" stuff. I mostly use 1/8 to 1/4 material with an occasional piece of 3/8, so I'm not sure that variable is any advantage.

Thoughts?

/ AC or DC? #2  
Are they running a DC motor instead of having a mechanical speed adjustment?

/ AC or DC? #4  
AC is perfectly fine for what you describe. Most horizontal bandsaws have pulleys or a switchable gearbox to change speeds if you really need it. Not a precision tool, and if you don't use it that much then the extra coin for variable DC is a waste. I've cut everything from thin alum to 3/8" 304 stainless with my AC saw, with no issues. I just use the slow speed for the stainless.

/ AC or DC? #5  
Spend the extra $ on good blades.

/ AC or DC? #6  
If you want variable speed, find a 3 phase motor in the correct frame size and a cheap VFD but I don't think variable speed on a band saw would be worth the extra money. All i cut on one is metal tho

/ AC or DC? #7  
I have really old Craftsman Professional horizontal band saw, it only has one speed and when I got it it was in really sad shape, after nurturing it back to life (one issue was previous owner put blade on back ward) it has cut everything I can mount in vice.... Only issue I have to watch is the rate of drop (down pressure)..... For average home/ranch shop most elemental saw will do everything you probably need to do... Speed control is probably not necessary if you have proper teeth per inch blade for material thickness...

31649-A.jpg

Yes this is pic of a saw same as mine, and yes it cuts on lefthand side not the right as most, that is why previous owner put blade on so it ran backwards... It's only real negative is it will not swing up to cut in vertical position....

If my craftsman ever dies beyond repairs (parts avability) this would probably be its replacement....

Shop Tools and Machinery at Grizzly.com

Yes it is a step up from this one below that seems to have some good reviews on blacksmithing forums....

Metal Band Saw - Horizontal/Vertical Metal Band Saw

I'm just not a great fan of HF knockoffs of real quality product..

Dale

/ AC or DC? #8  
Have you looked at a deep cut portable? I have a 9x16 economy stationary saw with a home made accessory vise for small jobs. Bought a HF deep cut a few years ago, had a permanent place beside my bench. Most times it was much quicker to use the portable. I did overwork it on my fel fork project, and the land plne construction killed it. Replaced it with a Milwaukee. Very versitile, YT vids have many reviews and versions of quick mount vertical stands, easy to build.

/ AC or DC? #9  
I agree on not wasting money on DC. Im just a hobbyist cutter myself and have had a cheap JET shop bandsaw for 15 years now. It has cut everything ive ever needed. I do work in professional repair shops that have the large variable speed units, with automatic cut speeds and cooling lube tanks....the whole deck of cards. Man id love to have one of those, but get real, i would never use it enough to justify the costs.

/ AC or DC? #10  
Just a side note, if I could only have one saw, the deep cut portable would be my choice.