About to buy a Boss Snow Plow for my truck

/ About to buy a Boss Snow Plow for my truck
Good evening gentleman. The plow and 800 pound (TGS 1100) will be installed Friday. Hoping to post it up here and "pictures of my snow weapons" thread. Thanks for all the tips...I ended up going in the same direction I initially intended but I sure read and researched a lot more than I otherwise would have. The last decision I made on what size spreader was driving me crazy....do you get the TGS 600 that has a capacity of 400 pounds of salt or the TGS 1100 that has 800 pounds of salt capacity? I chose the one that carries 800 pounds but it is not too late to change my mind. Like I said picking everything up Friday morning.

/ About to buy a Boss Snow Plow for my truck #42  
Just make sure you empty the spreader out every nite , It will freeze

/ About to buy a Boss Snow Plow for my truck #43  
Just make sure you empty the spreader out every nite , It will freeze

Only if it straight sand right? The northeast is the only place I've seen salt-sand used, everywhere I've ever been, particularly down south is straight salt not counting the liquid solutions.

/ About to buy a Boss Snow Plow for my truck #44  
Hi rustyiron straight salt will freeze. if it has any moisture or get wet we run straight salt in MA with liquid cal 10 gallon per ton 480 pounds per road mile. Its my winter job 0117180826-00.jpg

/ About to buy a Boss Snow Plow for my truck #45  
What is suggested application rate on salt for blacktop?

Seems like you are running bulk. I've been on plow site now for the last hour or so reading up on salt spreaders and salt spreading in general. I'm just not gonna be running through the amount like you guys do. Shoot, you can't even buy bulk salt around these parts anyway.

I really don't know the ratio I use. It depends on the conditions at the time. If I have a ice pack because I have been plowing all night and build up a frozen base, I will turn the sander conveyer on full blast and drive slow. If it's a pre treat in hopes that I don't have to plow .. I will do the same. If it's a quick 2-4" snow and I just need a quick melt off, I can use much less salt, particularly if the sun is out. Given that you are a health care center, and it's quite likely the people entering your facility may not be stable on their feet.. I would pound the entrances to ensure there is no ice anywhere. And as I said before.. Don't waste time with sand /salt mix. It's messy, it gets tracked into your building and sucks to clean up in the spring. The sand also holds moisture that can refreeze at night.. Needing more material to melt it. Salt will dry the asphalt and residual salt at the base of snow banks will stop a refreeze from melt off.

/ About to buy a Boss Snow Plow for my truck #46  
10-4 Peter, will salt (dry) gather moisture in a covered tailgate spreader? I know if left long enough (in bags, for years) will become a brick. On the bright side it's a good "weed tree" killer come spring time.:D

I really don't know the ratio I use. It depends on the conditions at the time. If I have a ice pack because I have been plowing all night and build up a frozen base, I will turn the sander conveyer on full blast and drive slow. If it's a pre treat in hopes that I don't have to plow .. I will do the same. If it's a quick 2-4" snow and I just need a quick melt off, I can use much less salt, particularly if the sun is out. Given that you are a health care center, and it's quite likely the people entering your facility may not be stable on their feet.. I would pound the entrances to ensure there is no ice anywhere. And as I said before.. Don't waste time with sand /salt mix. It's messy, it gets tracked into your building and sucks to clean up in the spring. The sand also holds moisture that can refreeze at night.. Needing more material to melt it. Salt will dry the asphalt and residual salt at the base of snow banks will stop a refreeze from melt off.

And do I need to use a different type of salt on my concrete sidewalks correct? Someone was telling me that regular old salt would bust up the top of our concrete. We have used it in the past, but again, it doesn't stick around long.

/ About to buy a Boss Snow Plow for my truck #48  
10-4 Peter, will salt (dry) gather moisture in a covered tailgate spreader? I know if left long enough (in bags, for years) will become a brick. On the bright side it's a good "weed tree" killer come spring time.:D

The bottom to feed the spinner might get hard from road spray . we carry a hammer to bust off the chunks I can open my gate 1ft to get the bigger stuff out Its no fun when the chain breaks and you have to shovel it out

/ About to buy a Boss Snow Plow for my truck #49  
And do I need to use a different type of salt on my concrete sidewalks correct? Someone was telling me that regular old salt would bust up the top of our concrete. We have used it in the past, but again, it doesn't stick around long.

This was years ago, but we plowed a concrete parking deck at a shopping center, they were very protective of what chemicals we could use. We ended up using Urea fertilizer (46-00-00) or nitrogen. It'll certainly make any grass nearby green!:D

Guess I'll be plowing like a Boss now!!

2018-01-26 12.27.23.jpg2018-01-26 12.27.09.jpg