About to buy a Boss Snow Plow for my truck

/ About to buy a Boss Snow Plow for my truck #1  

Old Red

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota M6800 HDC
So I can't say enough about how well my Chinese made UTV plow did this last storm. I plowed quite a bit of driveways, my entire neighborhood streets and an elementary school. The school is 12 miles away which is a bit far to drive a UTV to with a plow on the state highway. I didn't feel like pulling out the trailer. Anyway, we spent a small fortune on our 5 clinic parking lots. 2 of them are 40 miles away.... so I have decided it is time to invest in a snow plow and salt spreader for my clinic properties. I have almost pulled the trigger on a Boss 8 feet 2 inch V Plow with a Boss 600 lb tailgate spreader for my 3/4 ton truck. Before I do this....if anyone has any thoughts or suggestions, I'm all ears. Those of you who are familiar know what kind of coin I'm about to drop here...

/ About to buy a Boss Snow Plow for my truck #2  
We have a stainless Tripp edge on our Chevy. It's done well so far. Only issue (not really an issue) is that the thing is SUPER fast. If you hit the angle button it angles quick. The buttons are sensitive so if you press it even a little it's angled quick. Dad has trouble grazing the button when he goes to raise or lower it. Even a graze and it angle. Tried a new controller and it was the same. Dealer said the commercial guys love it as time is money and it is quick

/ About to buy a Boss Snow Plow for my truck #3  
Seems like overkill for a mild climate like Ky, but to each his own...

I’m using an 8’ Boss on my F450, but we’re over 200” of snow so far this season.

/ About to buy a Boss Snow Plow for my truck
Seems like overkill for a mild climate like Ky, but to each his own...

I’m using an 8’ Boss on my F450, but we’re over 200” of snow so far this season.

I agree it is somewhat overkill, do you have any other suggestions for me? I chose the V because it was only an additional $1k. I will be a 1 man operation for all my sites. I am a kind of guy who wants to "buy once and cry once". Lifetime purchase with no regrets.

The majority of my patients are elderly and moms with infants carrying around car seats. It is very expensive to hire it out and most who do it use their front end loaders and will not shovel sidewalks and spread salt. With all five locations it will take about 3 or 4 events to pay for it, although those 3 or 4 events might happen over a 2 years. There is not a lot of equipment around here and those who have it have a lock on it....and it is mission critical I am clean and not slick first thing in the morning when patients are trying to get in my doors in their walkers. We showed up to work Monday and my third clinic had not been touched. The contractor forgot about it.

Anyway, if you have any suggestions please let me know what you would consider reasonable if you think this is too overkill.

/ About to buy a Boss Snow Plow for my truck #5  
How practical is clearing 5 locations by yourself with assuming more than 100 miles between them?

/ About to buy a Boss Snow Plow for my truck #6  
I have the Boss plow mounted on a F-350 diesel 4x4 dually. Heavy plow wore out the mono beam ball joints. Question your luck with the 3/4 ton choice. Washing your truck after every use is important. Rust will kill your truck 10 times faster. You need the best equipment for your job. One slip and fall with a broken hip and you are in trouble. The kid eating a egg Mc muffin driving for your contractor does not see it like you do.

/ About to buy a Boss Snow Plow for my truck #7  
I don't feel like 8' is wide enough for a full size pickup. 9' gives you enough clearance so you can plow a bit off the surface without worrying about getting stuck, and helps going around corners so you're not driving over the bank you just made.

V-Plow is by far worth it. One of the coolest things is the "scoop"position - where both sections are pointed forward. Great for cleaning up.

But.... all depends how much snow you get and how much you use it.

/ About to buy a Boss Snow Plow for my truck #8  
I have a Boss 9-6" V on my F450. ..I have had a dozen Fishers and A Blizzard plow in the past. IMO.. the Boss is my pick for best setup. .. it is the easiest on/off and is very easy to service. I bought my first V p,ow 3 years ago and I wish I did it 10 years ago. For parking lots it's ideal,you can scoop and push snow into piles without leaving windrows, this saves a ton of time.

/ About to buy a Boss Snow Plow for my truck #9  
What are these "clinics"

Do you OWN them? Lease them? Just manage them?

Start snow removal and salting and you open up to lots of liability. So hope you have insurance if someone sues you for slip/fall because you didnt apply enough salt.

Probably looking at $10k in equipment. Its quite a bit of upkeep to keep things going. Dont expect to hitch and go every season. Most guys hook up and verify everything works before first snowfall. Working out electrical gremlins, flushing pumps, etc.

And be prepared for the rear of your truck to rot off in a few years

/ About to buy a Boss Snow Plow for my truck
How practical is clearing 5 locations by yourself with assuming more than 100 miles between them?

If we had a lot of snow events it would be very impractical. It would also be impractical if these events did not shut everything down like they do. This last 2 rounds will shut Kentucky towns down....including us.