A question for you builders .

/ A question for you builders . #1  

kevin37b

Veteran Member
Tractor
john deere
Would like a carport on the east end of garage . Free standing pole type structure . North side poles will sit on cc drive . South side will be posthole , augered in . Going 26 ft east from garage with posts , 6x6 . M y concern is a 33 ft span where we enter .Do not want any pillars in the support . My wife would knock em out ! Is this possible ? Would like your input . LD1 or Eddie Walker , would like to hear from you . Thanks , Kevin .

/ A question for you builders . #2  
33' clear span is very possible with trusses or red iron. An engineer would be required to figure out the type of supports, whether foundations, piers, poles, steel colums or wall sections.

What is a cc drive that the north side will sit on?

/ A question for you builders . #3  
As long as you don't need doors, 33 foot clear span is nothing for trusses unless I'm not understanding your question.

/ A question for you builders . #4  
As others have said, it is going to have to be trusses (or some other engineered product).

/ A question for you builders . #5  
+4 , 33 ft span can easily be accomplished with engineered structure

/ A question for you builders . #6  
Any truss company in your area can give you all the info you need but they must be aware if it's trusses that the opening has no support so a normal gable truss will not do. If it's a beam for the span they'll also be able to give you the size necessary for the different stile of engineered beams.

/ A question for you builders .
This will be a flat roof with about a 6-1 slope to the road . My builder is talking an engineered beam . Just wanted you guys input . I got lazy , cc = concrete . Thanks , Kevin .

/ A question for you builders . #8  
I've never seen a 33 foot engineered beam, but I guess they exist. It's not how I would do it, and I don't even want to know what something like that would cost!!!!!

Do I understand this correctly, you are wanting to build a covered area that is 33 feet wide without any center posts? Is it 26 feet deep?

A picture would help.

How thick is the concrete that you plan to rest the post on? Will the post be at the edge of the concrete where it's weakest?

In my experience, most slabs are not strong enough to support structure. If you really want a post there, the concrete needs to be cut out, dug down deep enough to create a footing, and new concrete needs to be poured.

Will there be any side walls to provide sheer strength? How will you stop the structure from racking?

/ A question for you builders . #9  
I would worry about a snow load on an almost flat roof with that span. Those spans are common in Tennessee bit there is just rain and wind, no static load for the most part.

/ A question for you builders .
Thanks for your input men . Yes 33 w 26 d . Drive is 6" thick and a deeper footer on edges . South side will be drilled and set in the ground . North side set on the drive . I wish I could do pictures . Basically a lean to not attached to house or garage . Appreciate your input . May have to rethink this thing . I appreciate your response EW . Thanks again , Kevin . .