a homemade utility vehicle with hydraulic dump

/ a homemade utility vehicle with hydraulic dump #11  
You scrapped a rust free tin top body?? :bawling:

/ a homemade utility vehicle with hydraulic dump #12  
a quick look in the spec book says mass 910kg, max allowed vehicle weight 1330kg. The dump body would probably weigh as much as the passenger cabin you took off, so by the numbers you roughly end up with half the payload you require, so you probably need to reinforce the rear suspension as well... :)

But then, those are 'on road at speed' specs and you can go higher when off road, slow speeds are the norm. Not sure how much though.

/ a homemade utility vehicle with hydraulic dump #13  
Without any load, the Sami is essentially undrivable on any slope in 2WD, since there
is little weight over the rear wheels (RENZE), and my tires are crappy.

Yes, you have a very light dumpbox... i was envisioning a standard dumpbox of 3mm steel with crossmembers, but those roofplates you used are more like 1.5mm and because of the corrugation dont need that many crossmembers ?

/ a homemade utility vehicle with hydraulic dump #14  
But then, those are 'on road at speed' specs and you can go higher when off road, slow speeds are the norm. Not sure how much though.
In military trucks, the offroad ratings are often lower than on-road load ratings because of the increased torque on the driveline when going in heavy terrain.

/ a homemade utility vehicle with hydraulic dump
You scrapped a rust free tin top body?? :bawling:

No buyers, even at $50/obo. I sold the 3 doors, hood, front fenders, rear seat, etc, no problem.

Yes, you have a very light dumpbox... i was envisioning a standard
dumpbox of 3mm steel with crossmembers, but those roofplates you used are more like
1.5mm and because of the corrugation dont need that many crossmembers ?

You got it. If I recall, the corrugated panels are .040, but the bends make them very
strong. I estimate the weight of the box at something like 300#. The gate uses .060
galvanized sheet with angle frame.

The 5-ft size of the box will allow loading with a 5-ft FEL from the sides, which I have
done already. I prefer to wait until the soil is more damp before I load it up with dirt.
I am looking forward to a full-load test. No significant rain here since last spring.

/ a homemade utility vehicle with hydraulic dump #17  
No significant rain here since last spring.

You got that right... I'm kind of spoiled because in a wet year there are many places I just can't go.

This year not once has rain or wet ground been an issue...

Even my friends on Last Chance Road said they have had zero weather issues... which is very unusual.

Keep posting pixs and reports... great project.

/ a homemade utility vehicle with hydraulic dump #18  
You got it. If I recall, the corrugated panels are .040, but the bends make them very
strong. I estimate the weight of the box at something like 300#. The gate uses .060
galvanized sheet with angle frame.
Thats a wee bit over 1mm... :) its fine as long as you dont dump boulders in it :)

After thinking about hydraulic power for the dump for literally years, I decided not
to use a 12V power-pack (tho I have one here), and not use a Barnes-type gear pump.
Both approaches I have done before, and I want to try something new.

So, I snagged a power steering pump, a Nissan unit off an Infiniti Q45 engine I
picked up (free). I looked and looked for info from others who have used PS pumps
for this kind of application, and came up short. Even on YouTube and other places
where you see stuff like this.

I am guessing this one can put out maybe 1500 psi, tho I have no specs, and I have
not done a test (yet). Most seem to be clockwise rotation and use vanes instead of
gears. I wanted a PS pump with no reservoir, since space is very tight. This pump
is tiny. I had to look inside. The relief valve is on the inlet and it is a spool-type RV.
If I want more pressure, I can just stretch the spring a bit.

Attachments

• Q45_motor_s.jpg
    Q45_motor_s.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 425
  • PS_pump.JPG
    PS_pump.JPG
    139.2 KB · Views: 358
   / a homemade utility vehicle with hydraulic dump #20  
If that doesn't work and you end up getting one from a JY, look at the ones in 200, 700 or 900 series Volvos. Many of those are already setup for a remote tank (mounted on the fender) so it wouldn't be a big deal to up the tank size and they already have vbelt pulleys on them.

Aaron Z