9N ford hydraulic help?

/ 9N ford hydraulic help? #11  
fordy said:
Soundguy, If I attach the limit chains to the top link and to my mower,what's stopping them from both moving together? The mower will still bottom out. What am I missing?

Here's a picture of check chains installed.

Attachments

• CutterHookup.JPG
    CutterHookup.JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 355
   / 9N ford hydraulic help? #12  
Glad you had a pic.. i thought i was gonna have to go install my check chains for a photo... saved me a trip out to the barn!

Soundguy

/ 9N ford hydraulic help?
Thank's for the pictures guys. They were a great help. Sorry if I sound so dumb, but this is my first tractor. I understand now. It works. Thank,s again.

/ 9N ford hydraulic help? #14  
No problem.

Getting ideas across in print is alot harder than if you are talking.. or are there with props / pics .. ( Jinman came thru for us! )

good luck

Soundguy

You both did, thank's again. By the way, do you know if there is a wheel kit to make a brush hog into a finish mower? I have a 5' bush hog squealer. If I could find something, I could eliminate using my hydraulics on my 9N.

/ 9N ford hydraulic help? #16  
Not sure why you would want to eliminate using your 3pt lift on the mower??

I have seen people fab up anti scalp rolers on a rough mower before.. but it was hit or miss as to how well they worked..

Soundguy

I thought it would act like a finish mower. You wouldn't have to adjust it. Why wouldn't that work?

/ 9N ford hydraulic help? #18  
Well.. I guess you cout go at a rough mower with your welder and cutting torch.. and a big pile of scrap.. and some roller wheels and a couple front spindles and tires.. and make a mower that was no longer good as a rough cut mower.. and worked somewhat like a finish mower, with alot of sweat equity, and some decent cash outlay in parts...

You will need wheels that will caster and swivel so they won't dig in.. they will need to be set to the sides of the mowers front corners.. making it's footprint larger. You will need to have a way to adjust them to achieve the desired cut.. IE.. front down for less hp.. or front up for slightly better cut, more hp usage. You will thenneed to sharpen the mower blades much like a lawnmower blade is, instead of the 1/8 to 1/32 flat face like a rough cut mower uses.

You will then need to rig a loose toplink connection so that you can still lift it.. but that it otherwise has good float room.. or you defeat the wheels.. etc.

If you want a 'proof of concept' and just want to make something.. go for it. Oftentimes those devices don't work as good ( some work better ).. and may cost as much or more than a comercial unit.. but some of us DO like to build things... I can't fault you for that.... I've built plenty of things that would have been WAY cheaper to buy.. or faster / easier to buy... but I just wanted to do it anyway.. etc.

good luck.

Post pics if you go for it.

Soundguy

soundguy