8N WONT START

/ 8N WONT START #11  
No need to get hostile. Soundguy knows more than most when it comes to old fords.

I agree that it isn't a compression issue in terms of ring wear. But stuck valves do happen. And yea it is possible to drive 100' and have one hang. Cause last time it was parked and started fine it might not have stopped with the can holding that calve open and this time it did.

And to be clear, no one is saying tear it apart cause that's the issue. We are all just throwing out ideas. Check the easy stuff first. And if it is getting good hot spark, and still won't pop with fas or starter fluid spraid directly in the intake, the problem isn't likely to be fuel or spark related at all. I think that's all he is trying to point out. And the fact that a comp test is pretty easy to do.

/ 8N WONT START #12  
Lots of good suggestions, I would try them all if it were my tractor. No harm, no foul. Cheers.

/ 8N WONT START #13  
Is it a front mount distributor? I have an 8n and if the coil on the front of the engine goes bad it will act this way. Also there is a resistor on the dash that goes bad and it will act up. These tractors are finicky. If you need parts give this place a shot they have everything for these tractors..
www.dennis-carpenter.com

/ 8N WONT START #14  
I did not mean to imply that it in no way could not be compression nor did I mean to call Soundguy out as not knowing what he was talking about. I should have worded that a little differently maybe "I do not believe it to be a compression issue" might have been much better. Or that "it is highly unlikely to be compression issue". the fact that the tractor started right up as it always had he drove the tractor 100, he shut it off, greased his mower and now it will not start, and the plugs are dry all this leads me to believe it is a fuel problem. Much easier way to check if it does have a stuck valve, in my opinion would be to pull air intake tube from carb, hold your palm over the air intake on carb while cranking the engine, it should draw fairly strong and should not puff compression back, if it is pushing compression back then you have an open valve. The important thing we should be trying to do here is helping the man find and fix his problem. I am not so sure I am cut out for this type of forum it seems I can not express an opinion without somehow offending someone else, best I just keep my opinions to myself.

/ 8N WONT START #15  
a54127.jpga54391.jpgI drove a 4 cyl ford 4000 off a trailer from a show, parked it in the barn, went to use it again, clink clink, clink, clink, clink, clink room,roomroom. that's right.. those were all pushrods bending from stuck valves!

I parked my 850 after unloading some hay, parked it by the barn to air a front tire. started it later.. clink! pop,pop,pop, chug running on 3 cyls. again. another stuck valve, and pushrod.

so yeah. stuck valves DO just happen... btdt, got the greasy rags!

My pushrods were bent soo bad I had to cut them with bolt cutters to get them out of the head and block. .. luckilly valves survived.

N is a hair different with that flatty vs an OHV engine.. but N valves surely can stick. btdt too.

No need to get hostile. ...I agree that it isn't a compression issue in terms of ring wear. But stuck valves do happen. And yea it is possible to drive 100' and have one hang. Cause last time it was parked and started fine it might not have stopped with the can holding that calve open and this time it did.

And to be clear, no one is saying tear it apart cause that's the issue. We are all just throwing out ideas. Check the easy stuff first. And if it is getting good hot spark, and still won't pop with fas or starter fluid spraid directly in the intake, the problem isn't likely to be fuel or spark related at all. I think that's all he is trying to point out. And the fact that a comp test is pretty easy to do.

/ 8N WONT START #16  
Not trying to stifle your opinion. I just had issue with the 'it is not compression' statement.

It surely COULD be compression.. untill it is EASILLY crossed of the list with a thumb / palm check on carb mouth / plug holes.

A fuel stoppage test can ALSO be easilly checked spritzing fuel into the carb.. starter fluid.. etc.

you need spark, fuel, air, compression, and correct timing.

PS. driving 10-100-1000 foot and shutting down has -0- bearing on whether a valve can hang.

the op needs to reverify spark, verify compression, check fuel introduction.. if still nada.. check timing... I'd suspect timing last, AFTER valves in most cases.. yet again.. it IS possible. weve all seen advance mechanisms sieze and take flight. :)

I did not mean to imply that it in no way could not be compression nor did I mean to call Soundguy out as not knowing what he was talking about. I should have worded that a little differently maybe "I do not believe it to be a compression issue" might have been much better. Or that "it is highly unlikely to be compression issue". the fact that the tractor started right up as it always had he drove the tractor 100, he shut it off, greased his mower and now it will not start, and the plugs are dry all this leads me to believe it is a fuel problem. Much easier way to check if it does have a stuck valve, in my opinion would be to pull air intake tube from carb, hold your palm over the air intake on carb while cranking the engine, it should draw fairly strong and should not puff compression back, if it is pushing compression back then you have an open valve. The important thing we should be trying to do here is helping the man find and fix his problem. I am not so sure I am cut out for this type of forum it seems I can not express an opinion without somehow offending someone else, best I just keep my opinions to myself.

/ 8N WONT START #17  
I've started my H and drove a hundred feet and turned it off only realize I didn't turn the gas on.

/ 8N WONT START #18  
Terry, Lots of smart people here for sure, one thing w those carbs is the main jet in the bottom can trap debris, sounds like fuel to me and if the simple items still don't get her to fire drop the bowl make sure the float moves and the seat is free of debris, also make a pass with a thin mechanics type wire as well as compressed air, check the main jet and report to the panel !!

Good luck, you will find it

/ 8N WONT START #19  
I've started my H and drove a hundred feet and turned it off only realize I didn't turn the gas on.

i've done that on my 950 mowing tractor.

apparently carb holds enough gas to get me out of the pasture, thru the front gate and jst pulled onto the road where it will stall leaving my driveway. .. in the road. :)