87 JD 950 not charging

/ 87 JD 950 not charging #1  

Jcichy71

Tractor
TC18
I was wrenching around on my new to me 87 950 tonight. Just finished changing the oil and went to run it to check the level, it really didnt want to start… clicked a few times than finally slowly turned over and chugged to life.

Upon further investigation my voltage at the battery while running at 1500 rpm was 11.96

My first thought was “oh guess its a bad alternator” and put one on order. Few hours later I searched on here just to check and it seems there have been other issues with wiring or voltage regulators or even batteries. Does anyone have a sure fire method with these models on process of elimination? I’d had to throw on a 100$ part for no reason.

thanks in advance

/ 87 JD 950 not charging #2  
Your JD950 is really a Yammar YM series in green paint.

IF the JD950 has the original VR, then it's time to upgrade to a full solid state replacement. There have been both Yanmar and Deere Technical Service Bulletins out on this for 2-1/2 decades now.

And the new ss VR.

/ 87 JD 950 not charging
Ok great I’ll add that to the to do list… where is this located on the tractor, under the cluster?

/ 87 JD 950 not charging #4  
Ok great I’ll add that to the to do list… where is this located on the tractor, under the cluster?

Yanmar placed these on the wall between the engine and fuel tank on some models and other models under the dash cluster like you had mentioned.

The difficulty of problems can also include mice that love to gnaw on wires. When automotive upgraded in the 90s to the TXL, GXL, SXL wire grades, the formulas no longer became attractive for rodents to chew on them. :) GXL would be used for our machines should you decide to replace any. GXL is 'underhood' applications, very robust and heavy duty. TXL for vehicle interior. SXL for signal from interior sensors to speaker wires (chimpsy-cheap).

/ 87 JD 950 not charging
Awesome thank you, I ordered the replacement and I’ll dig around for it tomorrow!

/ 87 JD 950 not charging #6  
check your messages

/ 87 JD 950 not charging
Is this the guy I’m looking for? Defiantly appears to be the older style

Attachments

• A46151A2-2DDC-4AD5-A1B0-C8C6113F8ADA.jpeg
    A46151A2-2DDC-4AD5-A1B0-C8C6113F8ADA.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 96
   / 87 JD 950 not charging #8  
Is this the guy I’m looking for? Defiantly appears to be the older style

WOW, that indeed is the older style ! Prone to all kinds of troubles.

/ 87 JD 950 not charging
For anyone that finds this useful, the voltage regulator was the problem. I check my voltage i was at 12.45 and swapped it, fired back up and checked it… 14.12