74 hp skid vs 74 hp hoe for building tiny acreage?

/ 74 hp skid vs 74 hp hoe for building tiny acreage? #11  
Think about what your needs are. I made a list of one time jobs, and jobs that need doing regularly. Also the cost of the attachments needed and cost of rental or hiring a job out. It made my decision easy.

For people who like to own toys, that can be a frustrating approach. If money is more important than toys to play with, it is eye opening.

That is probably a good approach. So, ditch digging? Once? Foundation? Once?

On the other hand, if one has a project that would take several months of occasional use, perhaps it would be a benefit to purchase the tool, then sell it when one is done with the job.

A good skid steer can mount a variety of attachments from buckets to forks to a back hoe to trenchers.

/ 74 hp skid vs 74 hp hoe for building tiny acreage? #12  
75hp on tiny acreage????

I don't know what your calling tiny but I definietly could go smaller than my 55 hp tractor on my 10 acres.

Growing up we did 120,000 bales of straw and hay a year with a 575 NH and accumulator and the largest tractor was 86hp and we were covering 100s of acres.

/ 74 hp skid vs 74 hp hoe for building tiny acreage? #13  
That is probably a good approach. So, ditch digging? Once? Foundation? Once?

On the other hand, if one has a project that would take several months of occasional use, perhaps it would be a benefit to purchase the tool, then sell it when one is done with the job.

A good skid steer can mount a variety of attachments from buckets to forks to a back hoe to trenchers.
The other factor some folks should consider is experience.

A Skilled backhoe operator will do the job in half the time of a beginner. For the weekend warrior it can be important. It takes time to develop those skills and using something a few hours a year is not enough.

In my case, I was going to add a BH to the tractor to get a couple of projects done. Cost was $7k at the time. Thought it would be a handy thing to have in the future. The guy I hired to bring in stone talked me out it. He did all the work I needed done for $700 in less than a day.

I not only saved over $6000, but did not need to store the thing or put it on and off when it may have come in handy.

If I need BH work done, I can call and get it done. BTW, in the 10 years that $7k I would have spent has grown to over $10k.

• Good Post
Reactions: D&D
   / 74 hp skid vs 74 hp hoe for building tiny acreage? #14  
How Tiny is the acreage? Do you need something to maintain the property after said construction?

/ 74 hp skid vs 74 hp hoe for building tiny acreage? #15  
Morning folks..

I'm retired and want to build a garage with a apartment myself.. I used to do hvac and maintenance so I know a little about construction and Ive been reading.. No building inspections in my remote area of Iowa.

So I'm going back and forth about what machine would be the most versatile on my tiny acreage.. I think the skid (Case 95XT) would build a stick built garage faster and fit into small areas, but that the back hoe tractor (Case 580 4x4) could do more, but slower, bigger.. But it has a backhoe and a bucket..

I'm probably wrong about this but picked two machines that use the 4bt engine I like..

Opinions? Real life experiences?

Thanks!
Such a loaded question! This really depends on the type of work you do most after that first project is done. For construction stuff use a Skid Steer, or better yet, a Track Steer. Swiss Army Knife, the TLB. Digging and small dozer stuff, Excavator with thumb and blade, at least 5 ton.

/ 74 hp skid vs 74 hp hoe for building tiny acreage? #16  
Are you going to do the footer, utility trenching and septic by yourself? That would tip the favor towards the backhoe for me. It will take some time to get all that done even more so trying to work it in between other task so the cost of a rental would add up. Not having pallet forks on the backhoe to move supplies would be annoying but the supplier will deliver right to where they’re needed so that’s not that big of a problem.

/ 74 hp skid vs 74 hp hoe for building tiny acreage? #17  
I vote for the 580 or 310 - a full size construction backhoe. Not because you need the power, but because it is so stable and has the easy-to-use ability that goes with size. The high quality hydraulics make it into a superior crane for lifting and placing things. And because it will easily and safely move anything you might need lifted or moved. Heavy Pallets? Beams? Pallets of stone? Build a septic? How about a road? Put in a foundation? Stumps? Snow? Lift trusses? All no problem....

A full size machine like a good used Case 580 or JD310 has enough traction even in 2wd to work without tearing things up. Lots of used ones to choose from, too.

We use our hoe much more for lifing and placing things than for digging holes in the ground.

Of course you could get it done with something smaller or even without any machine. But building construction is why full size TLBs exist. They are made for the job.

/ 74 hp skid vs 74 hp hoe for building tiny acreage? #18  
I vote for the 580 or 310 -
Those are brutes and will do a lot of work. Not cheap. Is it what the OP will want for a small piece of property after his one-off projects are done? If kept long term, he will want a good sized building to store it.

I suppose buying a used one and selling it is an option. Might not lose much if anything on it.

I have 20 acres and those would be overkill for my normal needs.

/ 74 hp skid vs 74 hp hoe for building tiny acreage? #19  
Some of this depends on the size of the project. If someone is doing intensive site work, a larger machine is needed. If he is only digging footers, water lines, and septic lines, he might get by with an inexpensive $6000 Chinese mini ex .

IMO, the backhoe would be better for the initial construction, but a compact track loader would be better for brush cutting to maintain the property later. Whether the original poster actually needs a CTL instead of a tractor, can't say because there aren't enough facts presented about the intended use.

/ 74 hp skid vs 74 hp hoe for building tiny acreage?
Thanks everyone.

My hill top property has a functional mobile home on it my GF lives in, so yes a upgraded septic eventually needs installed, maybe, but isn't important considering the two existing bathrooms. Plumbing will be installed, but not hooked up until later. The barn has been torn down but the crumbling foundation remains. My tiny acreage feels big because there's no one in sight..

And CliffordK is correct.. I only need to build one garage, bury one septic.. But I work really slow, and its not a small garage. I should have built violins as much attention I give to details and if I hired a contractor to build this, he'd probably fire me like my financial advisor did lol..

So the trick is to buy and be able to sell without losing to much so I need to buy used, and hope I don't end up with big repairs.. But knowing me, I'll probably keep it around, but 25k is allot for something that doesn't make you money though. 25k might not buy much backhoe either.

As far as the 74 hp.. That's the hp rating of the 4b cummins engines I like and wouldn't be fair comparing a case 95XT skid, to any tractor or backhoe smaller than the case 580 with the same engine.. But I'm getting the feeling the cummins engines aren't as big a deal in the tractor and skid steer industry as they were in trucks.. Id like to find a 75 hp 4x4 tractor with a removable backhoe, but they are much smaller. Looks like they put allot of stress on the three point too.

Good food for thought guys, thanks again.

img_0211.jpg

Last edited: