60" King Cutter rototiller but need a 48"

/ 60" King Cutter rototiller but need a 48" #11  
I have VERY sandy loam.

Adding multiple layers of humus material, and tilling in each layer ("going over and over"),........ that would "pound the soil to death"?

I still don't understand.
Now you are asking specific questions about YOUR soil...

It's a good thing to till in humus into sand, even tilling in a bit of clay helps build sandy soil up.

There's a difference between tilling something into your soil, than going slooooow and tilling over and over. Many folks on here show picts of their gardens where they go sloooow several times over their soil and pound it into what looks like sand... That soil is over tilled with the soil structure gone.

I only mentioned this, because it's a common thing to say on TBN, to not worry about having a tiller too big for your tractor, just go slooooow and till it multiple times! That is NOT the proper way to use a tiller, at least not if you want to have the best soil for growing things.

SR

/ 60" King Cutter rototiller but need a 48" #12  
Were you planning on removing the tines from the outside flanges and leaving everything else intact?

/ 60" King Cutter rototiller but need a 48" #13  
Hey all. I have an opportunity to buy the above tiller, but have an RK24. I'm wondering if it's possible or even plausible to remove a set of tines from either end of the rototiller to get down to the recommended 48" tiller width?

Thoughts, Ideas?

I can get the KC for 600.00

TIA
Scott

It is possible to unbolt a set of tines to lessen the cutting width. That should not be an issue. The only concern I would have is the overall weight of the tiller verses the RK24's lift capacity. It probably isn't an issue, but I would check that before dropping the cash on the 60" tiller. $600 would be a good deal.

/ 60" King Cutter rototiller but need a 48" #14  
Along those lines, would removing the outer set of flails /hammers from a flail mower be kosher as well to lessen the HP requirements?