60" King Cutter rototiller but need a 48"

/ 60" King Cutter rototiller but need a 48" #1  

szeiger

Tractor
RK24
Hey all. I have an opportunity to buy the above tiller, but have an RK24. I'm wondering if it's possible or even plausible to remove a set of tines from either end of the rototiller to get down to the recommended 48" tiller width?

Thoughts, Ideas?

I can get the KC for 600.00

TIA
Scott

/ 60" King Cutter rototiller but need a 48" #2  
:welcome:
To the TBN forum Scott. You joined the right forum to get answers.

I am sure that you can still use the 60" tiller. You might have to go a little slower or make a little less depth on each pass but it will work fine.

/ 60" King Cutter rototiller but need a 48" #3  
Hey all. I have an opportunity to buy the above tiller, but have an RK24. I'm wondering if it's possible or even plausible to remove a set of tines from either end of the rototiller to get down to the recommended 48" tiller width?

RK offers a 54" inch for that model. Maybe the factory rep will stop in and advise if a 60" would cause warranty issues.

/ 60" King Cutter rototiller but need a 48" #4  
256032.jpg

Looks like a heavy duty ground chewer. Want to make it smaller? That could be quite a project.

/ 60" King Cutter rototiller but need a 48" #5  
Kind of a related question since the picture was posted.

I have the 48" version. I'd like to get it to till deeper, but as you can see, there are those skid plates on both sides. Mine came with the bolt set in the bottom adjusting hole, which is the lowest/deepest setting. Maybe there's a reason they don't want it to go deeper?

/ 60" King Cutter rototiller but need a 48" #6  
Taking tines off is the accepted method to cure a tractor, that's a bit lighter on HP than is needed.

BTW, going slooooow with a tiller is called destroying your "soil structure"! "Newbs", tend to pound their soil to death, with a tiller!

SR

/ 60" King Cutter rototiller but need a 48" #7  
Taking tines off is the accepted method to cure a tractor, that's a bit lighter on HP than is needed.

BTW, going slooooow with a tiller is called destroying your "soil structure"! "Newbs", tend to pound their soil to death, with a tiller!

SR

Going sloooow how does one.... "pound their soil to death with a tiller"?
A Troy Bilt walk behind tiller is very slow.
Does it pound the soil to death?

/ 60" King Cutter rototiller but need a 48" #8  
Troy has less tine speed, but IF you keep going over and over the soil, then yes, it will pound the soil to death.

SR

/ 60" King Cutter rototiller but need a 48" #9  
I have VERY sandy loam.

Adding multiple layers of humus material, and tilling in each layer ("going over and over"),........ that would "pound the soil to death"?

I still don't understand.

/ 60" King Cutter rototiller but need a 48" #10  
If you have heavy clay soil, tilling it to a very fine consistency will tend to increase compaction. I have very sandy soil. It is almost immune from compaction. To each his own.