5in bore cylinder with 1/8 wall tube

/ 5in bore cylinder with 1/8 wall tube #11  
Another vote for air cylinder from me.

We just got done rebuilding a milwalkee 5x28 at work. It had a 3/8" thick barrel and 3000psi rated

/ 5in bore cylinder with 1/8 wall tube #12  
I am trying to figue out some way to salvage some of my $50 purchase price besides just selling the cylinder for scrap. Any suggestions.

Build a pneumatic can crusher out of it. I have one. It's very useful.:thumbsup:

/ 5in bore cylinder with 1/8 wall tube #13  
Build a pneumatic can crusher out of it. I have one. It's very useful.:thumbsup:

With a cylinder that size, that would be a little costly to operate no?

I one out of a 2x8 air cylinder. MUCH more efficent:thumbsup:

/ 5in bore cylinder with 1/8 wall tube #14  
Mine is a 2" bore as well. Even though a 5" bore we take less pressure to operate, the air flow (SCFM) would be greater.

On a side note...I've often wondered (but haven't calculated) how much it costs to operate my pneumatic can crusher vs. the money received from recycling them. It's not related to tractors by any means. I'm curious if anyone has ever penciled this out.

/ 5in bore cylinder with 1/8 wall tube #15  
I have, but it is different for each compressor.

I figure it as follows.....

70 cans is about 2lbs. 2lbs @ 70 cents per is $1.40

To crush 70 cans causes my air compressor to run 75 seconds to catch back up.

It draws 15A @ 240v. or 3600w.........3.6kw/h

70 seconds is about 0.02 hours. That makes that 70 seconds run use 72 watts

or .072kw and at 10 cents per kwh. that is less than a penny to charge back up for $1.40 worth of cans.

/ 5in bore cylinder with 1/8 wall tube #16  
Thanks for reply. It's good to know it isn't a wash or we're losing money.:cool:

If we didn't crush, we'd use more bags too. Not a lot of money saved by using less bags, but worth mentioning.

/ 5in bore cylinder with 1/8 wall tube #17  
Thanks for reply. It's good to know it isn't a wash or we're losing money.:cool:

If we didn't crush, we'd use more bags too. Not a lot of money saved by using less bags, but worth mentioning.

Biggest reason I crush them is to make it worthwhile taking in.

If I didnt crush them, and load an 8' bed with 55gal drums full of cans, it may get $40 or $50 bucks. Not really worth the trip in.

But crushed, 1 garbage bag full = about 5 55gal drums of uncrushed cans.:thumbsup:

/ 5in bore cylinder with 1/8 wall tube
Not enough cans around my place to justify a crusher. Might pick a can up at the end of the driveway every now and then, those I just crush with my boot.

/ 5in bore cylinder with 1/8 wall tube #19  
LD1; said:
Biggest reason I crush them is to make it worthwhile taking in.

If I didnt crush them, and load an 8' bed with 55gal drums full of cans, it may get $40 or $50 bucks. Not really worth the trip in.

But crushed, 1 garbage bag full = about 5 55gal drums of uncrushed cans.:thumbsup:

What if that large air cyl could crush 4 cans at a time, would that not make it more efficient.

/ 5in bore cylinder with 1/8 wall tube #20  
It would have to be shortned to ~5" (length of a can) AND be able to crush at least 6 at a time to be as efficient as a 2" cylinder.

It is do-able, but a 2" x 6" stroke cylinders can be had for ~$60 or less on the bay.

I would think he could sell the large cylinder he has and get a smaller one and be able to put some $$$ back in his pocket vs hacking up what he has got to make it shorter.