5in bore cylinder with 1/8 wall tube

/ 5in bore cylinder with 1/8 wall tube #1  

muddstopper

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ventrac, Steiner
I ran across a 5inch bore cylinder today I thought would be good for a wood splitter. The cyl is a tierod type with the 4 long bolts running down each side to hold the caps on. Since the cyl needed to be shortened by 16 inches, I dismantled the cylinder and discovered the tube wall was only 1/8in thick. This has me wondering how much hydraulic pressure is going to be safe. I gave $50 for the cylinder and cant take it back, but dont wont to use it if it is going to blow apart the first time I throw 3000psi at it.

/ 5in bore cylinder with 1/8 wall tube #2  
Are you sure it is a hyd cyl. Could be air.

This is an air cyl.

Attachments

• air cyl.jpg
    air cyl.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:
   / 5in bore cylinder with 1/8 wall tube
Are you sure it is a hyd cyl. Could be air.

Not sure of anything at this point. How should I be able to tell the difference. Piston is three piece with 1/4 rubber seals sandwiched between the piston plates. Shaft is 1 3/4. Cylinder was very dry internally when disassembled and no rust, but both ports had been plugged. I have no ideal how long the cylinder had been laying around. But would suppose if it had been used as an air cylinder, I would probaly see some rusting internally.
I was also suprised to see that neither endcap had anytype of Oring seal. The caps had groves cut to accept cyl barrel, and what appeared to be some sort of glue, but no Oring.

Cylinder lloks like this one, except for color. https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=9-7623-48&catname=hydraulic

Last edited:
   / 5in bore cylinder with 1/8 wall tube #4  
Not sure of anything at this point. How should I be able to tell the difference. Piston is three piece with 1/4 rubber seals sandwiched between the piston plates. Shaft is 1 3/4. Cylinder was very dry internally when disassembled and no rust, but both ports had been plugged. I have no ideal how long the cylinder had been laying around. But would suppose if it had been used as an air cylinder, I would probaly see some rusting internally.
I was also suprised to see that neither endcap had anytype of Oring seal. The caps had groves cut to accept cyl barrel, and what appeared to be some sort of glue, but no Oring.

Cylinder lloks like this one, except for color. https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=9-7623-48&catname=hydraulic

My guess is it is rated 15 psi air. Cylindes like that are used in industrial control systems.

here are pics of the piston and endcaps and you might be able to see the barrel. I dont think its air, but its not high pressure hydraulics either

Attachments

• 1221111840.jpg
    1221111840.jpg
    594.2 KB · Views: 166
  • 1221111846.jpg
    1221111846.jpg
    715.7 KB · Views: 179
  • 1221111841.jpg
    1221111841.jpg
    460.6 KB · Views: 166
   / 5in bore cylinder with 1/8 wall tube #6  
I ran across a 5inch bore cylinder today I thought would be good for a wood splitter. The cyl is a tierod type with the 4 long bolts running down each side to hold the caps on. Since the cyl needed to be shortened by 16 inches, I dismantled the cylinder and discovered the tube wall was only 1/8in thick. This has me wondering how much hydraulic pressure is going to be safe. I gave $50 for the cylinder and cant take it back, but dont wont to use it if it is going to blow apart the first time I throw 3000psi at it.

As a reference 2 1/4" steel tube with 1/8 wall is rated for 1400 PSI. So based on that I would also suspect it is 150 PSI Air cylinder.

Roy

I can only imagine what would happen if I hadnt of decided to ask before I proceeded to put this cylinder on my splitter. Looks like its back to the scrap yards tommorrow to look for another cylinder to use. I appreciate all the replys, each of you have helped to prevent me creating a potential hazardous situation. Thanks a ton!!

/ 5in bore cylinder with 1/8 wall tube #8  
5" bore cylinder for 3k psi should have at least double that wall thickness. Chief uses 1/4" for a 5" bore 24" stroke tie rod cylinder. I'll bet those piston seals are very soft and not polyurethane. If that was a hydraulic cylinder those U-cup seals would poly.

/ 5in bore cylinder with 1/8 wall tube #9  
I agree on air actuated.

It looks like a cylinder I have taken out of air actuated water valves.
"Yea I kept em":D Dont know what I would ever use them for but I still have several air type cylinders.

I knew something was wrong as soon as I took the clyinder apart. The only air cylinder I have ever fooled with where little cylinders like are used to latch a dump truck. This cylinder has a 40inch stroke and looks just like the tierod cylinder I used to make my dump trailer, on the outside anyways.

I am trying to figue out some way to salvage some of my $50 purchase price besides just selling the cylinder for scrap. Any suggestions.