58 MPG by 2032

/ 58 MPG by 2032 #351  
I'm not sure this is true, or at least I'm not used to seeing "Wh" ratings printed on battery casings, those I've checked have been nearly always expressed in "Ah". Again, I believe this has to do with battery chemistry and physics, as it's a stored charge (Coulombs) which translates to consistency in amps (Coulombs/second), and no consistency in watts under condition of diminishing voltage. I'm not a battery expert, and I hated all three terms of Chemistry I was forced to take, it would be good if we could hear on this from someone who actually designs batteries.

Again, EE here... you don't need to explain what watt-hours are, this is kindergarden stuff. If you want to get into skin effect and variation in effective conductivity due to surface roughness at higher frequencies, or moding of various conductor arrangements due to physical geometry and inhomogeneous dielectrics between them, I'm your man. ;)
AMP hours or AH is used on a battery to advise how many amps the battery can delivery in an hour.

Capacity – Amp hours (Ah):As the name suggests this means how many amps the battery can deliver in an hour. For example, a 12V lithium battery with a capacity of 100Ah can deliver 100A to a 12-volt device for one hour. The same 100Ah battery could supply power for 4 hours (100/25=4) to a 25 ampere device.

WH or KWH is used to provide information on the electrical flow and usage into a business or residential structure.

"Watt vs Watt-Hour"

"A watt is a unit of power, while a watt-hour is a unit of energy."

"Watt refers to the amount of energy a device needs in order to function. It is equivalent to the electricity flowing at a rate of one joule per second."

"Watt-hour, on the other hand, measures the amount of work generated by an appliance. It calculates the total energy consumed by an electrical device or appliance over a period of time. It indicates how many watts are used in one hour."

"In short, watts measure power while watt-hours (Or KWH)measure energy used."

A lot of new vehicle come with a 110 volt converter. You plug a regular 110 drop cord into the receptable on the vehicle and operate a portable electric drill from example. You would need to know the ampreage use of the drill to know how many hours or minutes your could drill holes with the drill before the battery would stop producing amperage to power the drill.

Last edited:
   / 58 MPG by 2032 #352  
AMP hours or AH is used on a battery to advise how many amps the battery can delivery in an hour.
No, you got that backwards. You copied and pasted the right explanation, but drew the wrong conclusion from it.

Amp hours is amps times hours, not amps per hour. As already noted in the definitions you posted, it is a measure of energy. Energy is power times time, not power divided by time.

Let's pretend we have a battery capable of delivering 10 amps continuous, without thermal constraints. If the capacity of this battery is 75 Ah, it would be able to deliver that 10 amps (nominally) for 7.5 hours. Not per hour.

Because voltage wains below 40% or 50% capacity in a real (non-theoretical) battery, the actual delivery of current will vary, and thus power will vary by a square law (as voltage and current both drop correspondingly. This may be why battery manufacturers seem to prefer using Ah over Wh.

/ 58 MPG by 2032 #353  

Capacity – Amp hours (Ah):As the name suggests this means how many amps the battery can deliver in an hour. For example, a 12V lithium battery with a capacity of 100Ah can deliver 100A to a 12-volt device for one hour. The same 100Ah battery could supply power for 4 hours (100/25=4) to a 25 ampere device.
This is not true. Deep cycle batteries are rated for amp-hours on a 20 hour test. A current is drawn for 20 hours and if sufficient voltage is held at the end then it is rated at 20 times the current which was drawn.

This link says car starter batteries are tested for 10 hours:

One will be disappointed if one tries to pull the Amp-hour rating in one hour.

Lithium chemistries have spectacularly low internal resistances which will source large amounts of current. The lithium industry may rate Amp-hours on a different time scale.

/ 58 MPG by 2032 #355  
I'm late to this thread, my mildly tuned 02 VW Golf TDI routinely got 57-58mpg in the summer, 52-54mpg in the winter. Had several tanks were I averaged 60mpg. I had 300K miles on it when too many Maine winters caused it to rust out and fail to pass safety inspections, otherwise I would still be driving it.

/ 58 MPG by 2032 #356  
I'm late to this thread, my mildly tuned 02 VW Golf TDI routinely got 57-58mpg in the summer, 52-54mpg in the winter. Had several tanks were I averaged 60mpg. I had 300K miles on it when too many Maine winters caused it to rust out and fail to pass safety inspections, otherwise I would still be driving it.
Gee, that settles it! Everyone build 2002 GW Golf TDI clones to solve all the world's issues!

VW couldn't/wouldn't clean up their diesels to meet emission standards which were laxer for diesel than gasoline. That is why the TDI died.

I tried to buy a new 2005 VW Golf TDI but the dealer was awful. I found via online forums that all VW dealers were awful at TDI diagnostics. That VW had browbeat all into being totally dependent on VW's diagnostic computer which wasn't smart enough to instruct the mechanic to try replacing the fuel filter before replacing the fuel injectors or fuel pump. If VW warranty is paying we don't care, but when one has to pay for this idiocy out of pocket it is something else. The mechanic who doesn't learn on warranty work will not know any better.

So what happens if "everyone" drove diesel automobiles (even if they were as clean as gasoline)? Where would we get the diesel from? Diesel and gasoline are symbiotic. Production of one depends on the other, and vice versa. A barrel of crude can not be made into either gasoline or diesel, you can get some of each and rubber the ratio a bit but when you deviate from the natural split costs soar. This is why decades ago when gasoline was in high demand diesel was dirt cheap. It was being given away as a byproduct of producing gasoline.

Today there is a high demand for diesel driving it's price to something much greater than gasoline. I bought 87 AKI today for $3.269 at a pump that offered ULSD for $4.079.

At these prices and 54 MPG ULSD one only has to get 43 MPG on 87 AKI gasoline to be equal. My lifetime actual miles divided by actual gallons in 2007 Prius was 51.16.

2353C367-2668-4191-B214-068C7B4DA15A.png

/ 58 MPG by 2032 #357  
I got stuck behind a person driving a Jetta wagon today. Maybe the person just had a light foot, but their 0 - 60 times could have been almost measured in minutes, it was so painfully slow following them. Maybe they were just letting the car literally idle up to speed, rather than pressing the damn gas pedal, I don't know. They would eventually reach a respectable speed, so not an issue of just a slow driver, but my God... they took an awful long time in getting up to that eventual speed. Made me think the car must just be woefully under-powered.

/ 58 MPG by 2032 #358  
I got stuck behind a person driving a Jetta wagon today. Maybe the person just had a light foot, but their 0 - 60 times could have been almost measured in minutes, it was so painfully slow following them. Maybe they were just letting the car literally idle up to speed, rather than pressing the damn gas pedal, I don't know. They would eventually reach a respectable speed, so not an issue of just a slow driver, but my God... they took an awful long time in getting up to that eventual speed. Made me think the car must just be woefully under-powered.
That‘s how one achieves those astronomical MPG. Of course they average things out. 35 mph on 2 lane highway and 75-80 on 4 lane highways.

One of the high miles per gallon will also not pass on a two lane road because they will have to go faster than the car in front of them. They want a four lane so they can travel along in one‘s blind spot. In racing they call that side drafting improves fuel mileage.,

/ 58 MPG by 2032 #359  
Most VW dealers are terrible at repairing the TDI engines, which I why I did all my own work. Scan tools are available that would give you more access to more options than the dealers computers.

My TDI was known to spin the tires on occasion when pulling away from a stop, so slow accelleration is mostly a function of the driver.

/ 58 MPG by 2032 #360  
That‘s how one achieves those astronomical MPG. Of course they average things out. 35 mph on 2 lane highway and 75-80 on 4 lane highways.
Not necessarily. Peak MPG is somewhere higher in speed. Apparently you have never tried.

This is what I did this morning in the Subaru Outback. This is what the Fool Computer says.

4A49C73B-8D83-4C59-AE6B-78F65E6D828D_1_105_c.jpeg

This is what the gas pump says. Previously filled same station 2 weeks ago. Parked 2 weeks. This is lower than I would have expected based on previous Lie O'Meter results. Expected 34-ish. Possible I filled different, they changed the nozzles.

B97DBA49-C0D3-47CC-9203-4D730050B739_1_102_o.jpeg