5740C 4 wheel drive doesn't engage

/ 5740C 4 wheel drive doesn't engage #1  

Ron Henderson

Hi,
I have a 5740 with 400 hours that the 4 wheel drive has quit working. No noises, it just doesn't work.
I drove down into the woods to clear some trees I had cut down and got stuck trying to go uphill in some pine straw, only the rear wheels were pulling.
After I managed to back up using the front end loader I drove to shop and begin to trouble shoot.
The linkage operates correctly so I assume it's internal.
Anyone else had this problem?
Looks like I will have to drop the fuel tank to allow room to pull the side off the transmission.

Thanks,

Ron

/ 5740C 4 wheel drive doesn't engage #2  
Sorry Ron, I have had 5740C since 2005 and have never had this problem. Good Luck and I wish you the best.

/ 5740C 4 wheel drive doesn't engage
Eureka, I got my 4WD fixed! All it took was a couple of phone calls and $237 including shipping.
I started by checking the parts diagrams here Parts For Montana Tractors.
I then called and talked to a guy there that has a good bit of experience with these tractors.
He told me the easiest thing to check and most common is stripped splines on the front 4WD shaft.
He was right, I had to buy a new shaft, a coupler, and 2 new roll pins. The shaft is coupled at the front and rear.
The shaft runs through a housing held in place by 1 bolt at each end, the front of the housing collapses to the rear. This gives you room to drive the old roll pins out and un- couple the shaft for removal.
I was very surprised at the amount of rust on the shaft and spines, not sure how this is lubed, maybe it's not.
When I put the new one in today I applied lots of grease all over.
Kind of pricey, but, my tractor has to have 4WD, without it I get stuck a lot !

Ron

/ 5740C 4 wheel drive doesn't engage #4  
Glad you got it fixed.

Dies the rear axle have a locking differential? That should assist you getting out of a stuck situation if it happens again. I engage the locking diff when I go through swampy/muddy areas, even with 4wd engaged

/ 5740C 4 wheel drive doesn't engage
Glad you got it fixed.

Dies the rear axle have a locking differential? That should assist you getting out of a stuck situation if it happens again. I engage the locking diff when I go through swampy/muddy areas, even with 4wd engaged

It does have a locking differential, which does help.
I think the main problem is the rear tires are industrial tread unlike the deep V type in farm applications. They spin quite easily.

Ron