5085E not wanting to move when first starting.

/ 5085E not wanting to move when first starting. #1  

Magicman710

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 5220, JD 5055E, JD 5085E, JD 5100E
I’ve been having and intermittent problem that now has become a constant problem.

2014 5085e, 1800 hours.

Upon cold starting, the tractor will not move unless the gear shift is slammed into the gear (1,2,3,4) all of the way. Lightly putting it in gear and the tractor won’t go. Reverser N light will go out, no flashing. No grinding in the gears. Just will not go unless you slam the gears “home”.

The strange part, however, is after the tractor warms up and you drive a while, you no longer have to do it. It will effortlessly shift with no problems.

Anybody else ever had this problem or know of a fix?

/ 5085E not wanting to move when first starting.
Update in case anyone ever comes across this problem, the fix was to replace the neutral sensor, M132725

/ 5085E not wanting to move when first starting. #3  
Was having the same problem with my 2013-5055E with cab - start tractor after parking and tractor wouldn't move but everything else works fine (12x12 with power shift transmission)
I unhooked the harness from the neutral position switch on the right side of the transmission just above the hydraulic filter and made a 6'" jumper to test, tractor moved fine so (this is a quick way to test and locate the problem as most electrical parts are non-returnable) NOTE: this is only a test and I would never permanently by-pass a safety switch! but it will allow you to quickly diagnose and allow you to move to a good place to make permanent repairs.
After moving to my shop I removed the hydraulic filter for better access to the switch for replacement, I'm not going to say its an easy repair but I'm very mechanically inclined, but it is very delicate procedure and requires a LOT of patience! But in the end the cost was a lot better than having the dealer winch it on a truck and wait 4-6 weeks with starving cattle to feed!
Items Needed: M132725 Neutral Safety Switch (test before opening package!)
R26448 Switch Sealing O-Ring
RE45864 Hydraulic Filter
1 gallon John Deere Hy-Tran Hydraulic Fluid

/ 5085E not wanting to move when first starting. #4  
Update in case anyone ever comes across this problem, the fix was to replace the neutral sensor, M132725
Where was this neutral safety switch located on your 5085E ?

/ 5085E not wanting to move when first starting. #5  
Where was this neutral safety switch located on your 5085E ?
I have the diagram from the dealer but I'm struggling to find the location. Did you ever find it?

/ 5085E not wanting to move when first starting. #6  
   / 5085E not wanting to move when first starting. #7  
No personal knowledge, but a google search showed these two pics, if they are any help.

IMG_9899.png
IMG_9898.png

/ 5085E not wanting to move when first starting. #8