50-60cc Saw Recommendation

/ 50-60cc Saw Recommendation #1  

Olympus

Platinum Member
Tractor
LS R3039
Guys, I’m looking for a 50-60cc saw somewhat on a budget. I currently have the 30cc Stihl MS170 with a 14” bar and it works pretty good for limbing and cutting smaller trees, but there are times when I have a need for something bigger. I had a Poulan Pro 18” 42cc but it didn’t like to start for me. I spent a lot of time fighting it. So I’m thinking of stepping up to either a 50 or 60cc saw with either an 18 or 20” bar.

My little Stihl is perfect for around the house, but I also have 100 acres of hunting property and sometimes I get trees falling across my trails and stuff and need a bigger saw for cutting them up and moving. We also have a wood stove that we use in the winter for supplemental heat when it gets cold. So I burn about 1.5 to 2 cords of wood a year and I have plenty of trees down that I could cut my own wood.

I’ve been looking at Husky and Echo saws just because the prices seem to be lower. I really only have about $375-$400 to spend on a saw. And since it wouldn’t be something that’s used regularly, I can’t justify spending more for a professional grade Stihl.

I’ve been looking at the 450, 455, and 460 Ranchers from Husky and the Echo Timberwolf, but I’m open to any suggestions.

/ 50-60cc Saw Recommendation #2  
   / 50-60cc Saw Recommendation #3  
I have the timberwolf and for the price and ease of starting can't be beat..

/ 50-60cc Saw Recommendation #4  
I have a Stihl MS362CM which I use for felling and bucking smaller trees. I got it with a 24" bar when I had a 3' limb to deal with (we have some large trees). It's not really enough saw to run a 24" bar. It'll do it but even in softwood it's slow. I got an 18" for it which is much better. I think 20" would be good too.

I have an Echo 352 for brush and I like it a lot. The air filter is not as good at the pro Stihls and the filler cap openings are small but that's my only complaints. It's very light and super easy to start.

/ 50-60cc Saw Recommendation
My local Husqvarna dealer has the 460 Rancher 20” for $490 which is just too much money for me to justify I think. They have a “demo” 450 (not a Rancher) that they say comes with the factory warranty for $250. It needs a new bar, for some reason they have some old worn out bar it. Or there’s another shop that’s a little ways away that has a 455 Rancher that’s factory refurbished with 30-day warranty for $280.

But that Echo 590 Timberwolf for $360 is a lot of saw for a good price. I just don’t have any experience with them as far as quality goes. You can buy them from big box stores, so I’m not used to not having a dealer to work with for service and parts.

Last edited:
   / 50-60cc Saw Recommendation #6  
I have a Stihl MS362CM which I use for felling and bucking smaller trees. I got it with a 24" bar when I had a 3' limb to deal with (we have some large trees). It's not really enough saw to run a 24" bar. It'll do it but even in softwood it's slow. I got an 18" for it which is much better. I think 20" would be good too.

I have an Echo 352 for brush and I like it a lot. The air filter is not as good at the pro Stihls and the filler cap openings are small but that's my only complaints. It's very light and super easy to start.

I run my 362 with 28" fairly often in softwood and it does a great job. The 362 is rated 'max 28' it will handle a 24" in hardwood also. I have cut cords of black locust with the 24" and felled them with the 28" - no problems. Of coure the 362 is way out of his budget range.

The key to any saw is a sharp chain. If you have to use the dogs and pressure to make it cut, your chain needs asttention. That is the point I swap to a fresh chain.

Fro the OPs use I wouild recommend the MS310 or MS290 although Stihl does come with a bit higher price.

/ 50-60cc Saw Recommendation #7  
My local Husqvarna dealer has the 460 Rancher 20” for $490 which is just too much money for me to justify I think. They have a “demo” 450 (not a Rancher) that they say comes with the factory warranty for $250. It needs a new bar, for some reason they have some old worn out bar it. Or there’s another shop that’s a little ways away that has a 455 Rancher that’s factory refurbished with 30-day warranty for $280.

But that Echo 590 Timberwolf for $360 is a lot of saw for a good price. I just don’t have any experience with them as far as quality goes. You can buy them from big box stores, so I’m not used to not having a dealer to work with for service and parts.

Check their on-line site for an Echo dealer nearest you. I was surprised to find an Echo dealer in the next small town down the road - a tool rental place.

/ 50-60cc Saw Recommendation #8  
Stihl farm boss is a great saw. Not to big or to small. A little heavy. Multiple bar options available.

/ 50-60cc Saw Recommendation #9  
Stihl farm boss is a great saw. Not to big or to small. A little heavy. Multiple bar options available.

By what standards? It’s got a pretty awful power to weight ratio.

/ 50-60cc Saw Recommendation #10  
Poulan is crap. Something happened with the company's upper big wigs and now their product is now cheap worthless crap. It's all over the internet...Poulan is crap and Walmart sells em if that says anything. I'm invested with Echo saw & string trimmer. Not the best of the best out there, but they start every time I need them.