5 acre woodlot.

/ 5 acre woodlot. #1  

Green Acres Homestead

Veteran Member
NewBrunswick & Nova Scotia www.lostcaper.com
Tractor
Kubota L4740 sold now have a new L2502 as off Jan 2023
image-2114265362.jpg

Today I did the final paper work for the purchase of a 5 acre woodlot. 1acre is cut down but I will still have to haul it off for processing.

I plan to build a camp and cut about 25 cords off it. 12 cords of maple for firewood and 12 cords of logs. The rest I will leave nicely spaced and cleaned of brush.

image-4280238573.jpg

The lot has about 15 beautiful pines and a nice stand of spruce.

I will write more as the project progresses.

/ 5 acre woodlot. #2  
View attachment 257664

Today I did the final paper work for the purchase of a 5 acre woodlot. 1acre is cut down but I will still have to haul it off for processing.

I plan to build a camp and cut about 25 cords off it. 12 cords of maple for firewood and 12 cords of logs. The rest I will leave nicely spaced and cleaned of brush.

View attachment 257665

The lot has about 15 beautiful pines and a nice stand of spruce.

I will write more as the project progresses.

Are you gonna saw the logs or have them hauled to the sawmill yourself. i doubt that you can fund a person to do anything with 12 cords of logs even if you give them to them?

/ 5 acre woodlot.
I may buy a small bandsaw mill but most likely I will take advantage of a guy that has a Woodmizer mill 1 mile up the road. I will load the logs on my deck over flat deck trailer with the forks of the tractor and roll them off at the sawyer's yard. No biggy but a good thought.

/ 5 acre woodlot.
My brother and I, under sun drenched skies, were hard at work clearing and spacing trees on my woodlot. The logging winch and fel on my kubota L4740 proved to be a good partner helping move trees and pilie bush.

As we cleared the smaller trees the sun light leaked through the canopy of the towering pines. I am hoping the sun light will help dry the soil. We decided to cut the stumps low and maybe grind them because removing the stumps and roots seem to remove the base. I may use a weave product under the rock I bring in.
This is suppose to keep the rock from sinking into the soft soil.

Attachments

• image-2728760367.jpg
    image-2728760367.jpg
    463.7 KB · Views: 379
  • image-2763288881.jpg
    image-2763288881.jpg
    399.1 KB · Views: 313
   / 5 acre woodlot. #5  
Yea keeping the stumps keeps the ground firmer and you dont end up with soft spots from holes that are not packed. Fabric will keep your rock up and out of the mud. ITs worth it. I would grind the stumps or either just flush cut them and leave um be till they rot after spraying with herbicide. If there in the road the rock will level around them and take the "bump" out. Eventually they will rot time depends upon species and then you will have to fill the holes with dirt/rock. But even if you grind them they will eventually sink in as the roots and below surface protion rot and cave in.

/ 5 acre woodlot. #6  
That is a good looking job super you have there. Bet you he/she keeps you on your toes and generally believes you bought the woodlot for them. How do I know? I got one too. She thinks our 9 acres is just for her. When she is around the chipmunks get no rest.

/ 5 acre woodlot.
Ya that one is my brother's dog. I had a border collie as well but had to put him down because he grew old and feeble. I often think how Sam would have love the property. Think once I get a bit more organized I will get another one.

/ 5 acre woodlot. #8  
sounds like a fun project keep the pics coming:thumbsup:

/ 5 acre woodlot. #9  
Sounds like you had a good time clearing the Land, Any tips for making it easier? I got 40 acres and I want to clear about 5 acres of woods. is it best to cut them high and pull the stump or cut it low and grind it. I am workin for farm land.

Attachments

• Photo0018.jpg
    Photo0018.jpg
    786.7 KB · Views: 299
  • Photo0016.jpg
    Photo0016.jpg
    687.6 KB · Views: 269
  • 100_1159.JPG
    100_1159.JPG
    581.2 KB · Views: 314
Last edited:
   / 5 acre woodlot. #10