4WD and loader work

/ 4WD and loader work #1  

JME81

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota LX2610HSDC
I read in the manual for my LX2610 that it's fine to work in 4WD doing loader work, which I have been doing. I watched a video with Tractor Time with Tim and one of the comments was that he should not being doing loader work in 4WD as it's gear on gear drive and its grinding gears when one of the front wheels spins and the other doesn't.

I just want to make sure that I'm not doing anything wrong.

Edit:
I should have been more clear, TTWT was doing similar work as I was, a commenter, not Tim, said that.

Last edited:
   / 4WD and loader work #2  
The manual states to not use 4wd anytime 2wd will do. If you need 4wd to get into the pile then that is fine. The wheels should not be slipping when filling the bucket. It they are you are not loading the bucket correctly or your pile is too solid and needs some breaking up before trying to scoop a bucket up.
Be sure to use proper loading techniques. Enter the pile flat, lift and curl while moving into the pile to fill the bucket.

/ 4WD and loader work
The dealer had told me that they use 4WD for all loader work. I moved a mount of soil over the weekend on un even ground which is why one of the wheels had spun, plus it was pretty wet. I'm confused as to why the manual shows what it does below for 4WD.

manual.jpg

/ 4WD and loader work #4  
The up position is 4wd indicated by the closed link. There is another foot lever on my model that locks the rear differential so there is no spin in the rear when stepping on that lever.

/ 4WD and loader work #5  
your going to learn people have no idea what they are talking about, gear grinding is clear as can be, do you hear it? prolly not, its generally a open differential, there is a reason they have lockers. if your not hearing noise, your not doing damage. i use 4x4 constantly and was slipping non stop today dealing with a flood.

do you know how much my wheels slip while plowing?

/ 4WD and loader work #6  
I read in the manual for my LX2610 that it's fine to work in 4WD doing loader work, which I have been doing. I watched a video with Tractor Time with Tim and one of the comments was that he should not being doing loader work in 4WD as it's gear on gear drive and its grinding gears when one of the front wheels spins and the other doesn't.

That last sentence that you are quoting or paraphrasing does not make sense.

4wd tractors pretty much all have front differentials. Which are "gear on gear" drive but allow one wheel to turn more than the other for when the tractor is turning. If one tire has less traction that wheel will spin. But there's no gears grinding. Unless you go nuts with the revs and then catch traction suddenly, it won't hurt anything.

However the front axle on a CUT is often a lot less sturdy than the rear. So don't treat it like a rock crawler jeep trying to climb a boulder. Most of the traction should be coming from the rear end which is much stronger.

/ 4WD and loader work
I didn't hear any grinding noises, I just looked down and saw one wheel spinning and the other not.

/ 4WD and loader work #8  

I just want to make sure that I'm not doing anything wrong.
IF I watched a vid and the person actually said what you claim was said there, that's the last time I would watch a vid by that person to hear some other dumb thing said....period!

If they can't get THAT right, what else can't they get right, and I won't be watching to try and figure it all out!

SR

/ 4WD and loader work #9  
The OP said: " I'm confused as to why the manual shows what it does below for 4WD."
There is nothing there that should confuse you. It simply shows you how to engage the 4WD. SO ?

You also said Tractor Time with Tim said "he should not being doing loader work in 4WD." None of us know what the context of that remark may have been but overall it is bullcrap. Use 4WD when you feel you need it or it offers you an advantage. This thing is supposed to serve you, not the other way around.

And I agree with Sawyer Rob -- stop watching foolish videos. In fairness to TractorTime with Tim, there was almost certainly some kind of situation which we cannot know (and you apparently did not absorb) that caused Tim to make such a pronouncement. So ignore it.

/ 4WD and loader work
I should have been more clear, TTWT was doing similar work as I was, a commenter, not Tim, said that.

To be clear, it's safe to be in 4WD and be scooping dirt?