4WD and loader work

/ 4WD and loader work #22  
Really most people bought a smaller tractor and got 4x4 so it would push and pull like a big one. We have 100+ horse tractors, 4x4, and hardly ever use 4x4 unless it is a straight line pull. Like pulling something out that's stuck. Dozers, dump trucks, log skidders. I mean hardly ever.

/ 4WD and loader work #24  
Chain driven fixed ratio output shafts = not a differential.
Full time vs part time is irrelevant
203 had a differential, you had to buy an eliminator kit to run 2wd. I have a brand new kit. 205 was a gear drive.

/ 4WD and loader work #25  
203 had a differential, you had to buy an eliminator kit to run 2wd. I have a brand new kit. 205 was a gear drive.
You appear to be confusing a full time non-shiftable transfer case with a differential. A differential has an internal mechanism that allows the two output shafts to vary their rotational speed in relation to each other.

An axle type (true) differential allows one output shaft (axle) to variably turn faster/slower than the other to accommodate the longer/shorter arcs that the wheels must traverse when turning.

A 4wd transfer case such as the NP203, NP205, etc. has the input shaft mechanically locked to both output shafts (driveshafts) via chain or gears so for a given input shaft speed, you get exactly one speed on each output shaft in high range and exactly one speed on each in low range. One output shaft speed cannot vary in relation to the other, so it is not a differential.

In the case of most compact tractors where the front wheels are smaller than the rears, the same transfer case principle applies to the drop box portion of the system. The difference is there is a fixed gear multiplication of the front wheel drive speed that is accomplished with a combination of drop box, front axle ring and pinion, and final drive gearing to allow the front tires to turn faster in relation to the rears so they all traverse the same distance over the same time when traveling in a straight line.

Last edited:
   / 4WD and loader work #26  
You appear to be confusing a full time non-shiftable transfer case with a differential. A differential has an internal mechanism that allows the two output shafts to vary their rotational speed in relation to each other.

An axle type (true) differential allows one output shaft (axle) to variably turn faster/slower than the other to accommodate the longer/shorter arcs that the wheels must traverse when turning.

A 4wd transfer case such as the NP203, NP205, etc. has the input shaft mechanically locked to both output shafts (driveshafts) via chain or gears so for a given input shaft speed, you get exactly one speed on each output shaft in high range and exactly one speed on each in low range. One output shaft speed cannot vary in relation to the other, so it is not a differential.

In the case of most compact tractors where the front wheels are smaller than the rears, the same transfer case principle applies to the drop box portion of the system. The difference is there is a fixed gear multiplication of the front wheel drive speed that is accomplished with a combination of drop box, front axle ring and pinion, and final drive gearing to allow the front tires to turn faster in relation to the rears so they all traverse the same distance over the same time when traveling in a straight line.
The 203 came with full time hubs, so engaged all the time, like a tractor. 203 had differentials in them. I have maybe 20 of them laying around here right now. Direct coupled and independent configurations. My brothers tractor has high and low range. Rabbit and turtle switch on dash, in addition to high low shifter. 203 shifter positions, low lock, neutral, 2wd high, 4x lock. The rear output of a 203 has a differential in it. A 205:does not. Shift positions low, neutral, 2 hi, 4 hi.

A 203 allows front output and rear output to turn at different speeds because of the differential in the transfer case. So, a 203 system had front differential, mid differential, rear differential. Basically the same as my Subaru Impreza which was all wheel drive, when the 203:was in 2 wd position. I couldn't shift the Subaru T case, it had a viscous coupler in T case, and all was connected, all the time.

/ 4WD and loader work #27  
KISS

If you are turning in 4WD on a hard surface and you feel front tires jumping, you are placing some extra strain on your front axle components and wearing your tires at an accelerated pace. Having a load in the bucket makes it worse. If that is what’s happening, aim your tractor straight into the pile in 4WD to get a more complete scoop, then switch back into 2WD if you need to make a sharp turn.
If you are scooping into a pile on a loose surface, then you can probably stay in 4WD all the time.

I always switch back & forth between 2WD and 4WD to avoid excess tire wear and front driveline strain.

/ 4WD and loader work #28  
The 203 came with full time hubs, so engaged all the time, like a tractor. 203 had differentials in them. I have maybe 20 of them laying around here right now. Direct coupled and independent configurations. My brothers tractor has high and low range. Rabbit and turtle switch on dash, in addition to high low shifter. 203 shifter positions, low lock, neutral, 2wd high, 4x lock. The rear output of a 203 has a differential in it. A 205:does not. Shift positions low, neutral, 2 hi, 4 hi.

A 203 allows front output and rear output to turn at different speeds because of the differential in the transfer case. So, a 203 system had front differential, mid differential, rear differential. Basically the same as my Subaru Impreza which was all wheel drive, when the 203:was in 2 wd position. I couldn't shift the Subaru T case, it had a viscous coupler in T case, and all was connected, all the time.
The 203s had a standard transfer case mated to a differential module that can be locked via shifter, so I stand corrected on that point, thanks! So that makes them a selectable AWD/4WD unit depending on whether that differential addon unit is locked.

/ 4WD and loader work #29  
The 203s had a standard transfer case mated to a differential module that can be locked via shifter, so I stand corrected on that point, thanks! So that makes them a selectable AWD/4WD unit depending on whether that differential addon unit is locked.
I honesty think it was a bad idea back then. And, you probably didn't see any that were not already converted over to selectable hubs. I had a nice 75 swb Chevy pickup that was full time. I got better gas mileage with it on a tow bar behind my 75 ford hiboy. I made a few 300 mile trips with it, I know. If I drove the Chevy I had to leave early because if the gas station in Jasper TX was closed, I was sleeping there. I was looking in the mailbox at Christmas hoping I would get a card from Exxon. I'm not knocking GM products, Ford and Dodge were just as bad with the full time system. Let us not even discuss the Jeep Quadratrack.

/ 4WD and loader work #30  
In 1974 I bought a pu NEW that had a 203 in it, it never gave problems, and I never converted it.

It was a decent pu but I never really liked it, it was a bit low on power and used too much gas.

SR