4820C Loader Joystick Removal for 3rd Function Install

/ 4820C Loader Joystick Removal for 3rd Function Install #1  

tambs

Tractor
Branson 4820C
Greetings!

I am preparing to install a 3rd function kit from Summit on my 4820C, but I'm not sure how the loader joystick grip comes off of the joystick lever. I can't tell if it is pressed on, threaded, pinned, glued, or stuck with bubblegum, and I haven't been able to find any videos of this model. I've seen many videos of other 3rd function installs on a variety of tractor brands where people hacksaw their grip off, sawzall it off, crescent-hammer it off, or simply cut the lever itself and live with a shortened joystick, but I was hoping to avoid destroying it if possible. Can anyone enlighten me as to how this is actually assembled, or even better, the correct way to disassemble it? I'd really rather not resort to taking it apart with the Remington 870.

I've checked the service manual, but it doesn't depict the grip in any sort of iso or assembly drawing. Several pictures are provided of it, but only to identify it in its assembled position (see #11 in the image below). The closest parts catalog I have found also merely shows it in assembled form.

Thanks!
Tom

Attachments

• 4520C Cabin1.jpg
    4520C Cabin1.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 65
   / 4820C Loader Joystick Removal for 3rd Function Install #2  
I think (?) Branson Bob put a new grip on his? Seems like he had to cut the old one off?

Maybe he'll chime in here.

Of course it could be someone else entirely, my memory isn't very good anymore.

/ 4820C Loader Joystick Removal for 3rd Function Install #4  
When I asked my dealer about my 3725, they said it is molded on. The answer may depend on the exact model of the joystick. I think they changed the loader valve a couple years ago, about the same time they dropped the 25 series (which in the US was very similar to the 20 series).

/ 4820C Loader Joystick Removal for 3rd Function Install #5  
It's really just going to depend on when your was built , we have ha some come in threaded on, and some molded on, if its the molded type you just have to chop it and rethread the end to suite your needs.

/ 4820C Loader Joystick Removal for 3rd Function Install
It's a 2022 model year. I don't mind cutting it off. Just didn't want to if I didn't have to. Thanks everyone for your responses. I'll take the stick off and attempt to spin it off on the bench.

/ 4820C Loader Joystick Removal for 3rd Function Install #7  
I think (?) Branson Bob put a new grip on his? Seems like he had to cut the old one off?

Maybe he'll chime in here.

Of course it could be someone else entirely, my memory isn't very good anymore.

Unfortunately it wasn't me but yes, hopefully someone with direct experience can chime in. As always, thanks to Asteral and the community for great feedback.

/ 4820C Loader Joystick Removal for 3rd Function Install
It was threaded. Too tight to spin off by hand, but the square shape of the grip was a perfect fit for a large crescent wrench.