4820 vs 5520 (DPF)

/ 4820 vs 5520 (DPF) #1  

GT3 Mike

Tractor
Yanmar
Hi all, first post here.

I'm looking at these two tractors locally and have a question about the DPF filter. I know on the 4820 it can be eliminated with no check engine light but is there one on the 5520 and can it be deleted the same way ?

Also, are either of these tractors too heavy to move on a car trailer with 3500lb axles ?

Thanks !

/ 4820 vs 5520 (DPF) #2  
Hi. Welcome to TBN.

Both models use the same engine, however the 5520 also has a Turbo for the extra HP. DPF wise, it's works the same.

Yes, you can take it off and unplug the data logger/DPF controller but you'll lose some of the gauges in these newer models. A little extra work may be necessary if you don't want the DPF lights to be constantly On.

/ 4820 vs 5520 (DPF) #3  
These are identical machines, except 5520 has turbo to make few extra HP.
Turbo is helpful at high altitude or if you are using the PTO a lot. I am in Indiana and I rarely use the PTO, so I got the 4820.

/ 4820 vs 5520 (DPF)
I am also in Indiana. This is more of a hobby tractor for me. The difference in price between both tractors is about $1300. I'm moving up from a Yanmar 276D. Not even working it on a farm or anything really commercial or even very hard. I just want to buy once/cry once. This is likely a lifetime purchase for me.

/ 4820 vs 5520 (DPF) #5  
Avoiding the turbo means one less thing to fail, esp. if you don't actually need it.

I haven't a clue about your car trailer question other than to say I suspect it also matters whether you will be towing on hills and have brakes on the trailer. It also matters if you have sturdy ramps because if the trailer shifts when you are loading, that can be disasterous.

/ 4820 vs 5520 (DPF)
I understand the turbo is one more thing to fail. For buying new and likely keeping 20+ years I like the idea of having more power and capability than I may ever need, especially not really costing much more initially for that.

Car trailer has disk brakes on both axles with steel ramps. It SHOULD be fine but I would feel better with heavier axles for sure.

/ 4820 vs 5520 (DPF) #7  
Yes, turbo is a maintenance item, AND if you have a turbo tractor, you have to idle it for 2 minutes before shut off, to let the turbo cool.

/ 4820 vs 5520 (DPF)
I think the 5520 ROPS is 5300 lbs ( ~ ) with the bucket. I pulled a similar weight SUV a couple years ago and it did fine. I just feel like the 4820/5520 is heavier than that.

/ 4820 vs 5520 (DPF) #10  
The other thing to watch for is that the trailer itself doesn't drop when the weight of the tractor shifts onto it. I don't have a picture handy to post this second, but my ramps have legs so this doesn't happen. I've seen a few car trailers that have extendable legs on them, too, for this reason.

As for HP, I have a Yanmar 226d, used to own a 35hp Mahindra 3525, and recently got a 52hp MX5200. I didn't want the turbo on the MX, but the price was better than the other options. The manual says to idle 3-5 minutes before shutdown because of the turbo.

The difference in useable power going from 35hp to 52 was astounding. Going uphill and using a 6' cutter are no problem. I doubt that I would notice if it was 48hp.

I also feel like the MX is far more stable than the Mahindra on hillsides. You may be in a flat part of Indiana where it doesn't matter?

Torvy went for the turbo on his TYM over the 48hp. You might reach out to him for his opinion or search his posts on it.

My thought is going from the 276d to 48hp on a larger frame tractor will be a pleasant surprise, no disrespect to Yanmar. Yanmar makes a very high quality tractor.