4720 snow capability

/ 4720 snow capability #1  

Red Horse

Veteran Member
Tractor
Deere 655ZTrak, Deere 4720 Cab, 400 X LT 155
My 4720 has loaded R-4's and about a 550 lb concrete weight block I use a 7' Fisher power angle plow (junk yard cast off that is starting to crack where the two swing cylinders attach to the blade. I could roll a 1/8" steel plate and weld it onto the front, then again it has a poly cutting edge that is well worn (I already trimmed about 1/2" off it with a junk skill saw blade) and I can't find a stock cutting edge with the proper bolt pattern.

So I'm thinking, I will make it through this season but I will head to my favorite salvage yard ithe spring and pick up a replacement. Anyone using an 8' on their 4720? I think the tractor has the power but what tends to happen (I think) with larger blades,when you are angling, instead of pushing, path of least resistance is to slide the entire machine opposite to the side you are directing your snow.

Anuy thoughts?

/ 4720 snow capability #2  
I use 7 1/2' plow on my L2800 at 45 degree in wet snow very seldom problem,if the front end should slide I take less of snow bit.

/ 4720 snow capability #3  
Less of a snow bite or just less angle to the blade, works for me. (7' Western on my 4300).

/ 4720 snow capability #4  
I run an eight ft.(FEL mounted) on a L4240 HSTC with R1's and loaded rears and don't have a problem being pushed sideways.

/ 4720 snow capability #5  
birdman
There are limits to everything... size does matter. ;)

/ 4720 snow capability #6  
birdman
There are limits to everything... size does matter. ;)
Agree. Size/weight does matter. In addition, R1 tires are much better in snow than R4 tires, especially on the front to resist skidding sideways.

/ 4720 snow capability #7  
You can put chains on the front, but I wouldn't...
Your best bet is to learn to use your split brakes. A little jab on the brake, as required, keeps you on the straight and narrow.

/ 4720 snow capability #8  
2010 4720. In order to cover my tracks I extended my 7' Fischer 6" on each side to give me 8'. If I'm pushing snow, mulch or dirt I just take smaller bites when the angle starts to kick back. I can really move a lot of product head on. I just pick up the blade slightly if the tires start to spin and it transfers more weight to the tractor wheels. I have liquid filled R4 tires with about 700lbs weight on rear ballast box. It works great and beats the heck out of my old tractor (1972 International Lowboy) as far as pushing a rear blade always looking to the rear with no cab. It works great!

JPC

/ 4720 snow capability #9  
I have a 7'6" fisher with R1 loaded tires. DK40 plows great. I think the R1 vs. R4 make a big difference in snowplowing.

/ 4720 snow capability #10  
I run a 9' power angle Western truck plow on the FEL of my DK 35 with R-4's.
Works great with chains on all 4.
The R-4's wouldn't push **** without chains. Once chained up I can push some snow !!