455 Oil Pressure

/ 455 Oil Pressure
Thanks for the comments. Thats whats good about these forums. Good reference for issues that other might have already seen. It is nice when an issue is posted as well as a follow-up solution.

The 455 is a great mower and I'm glad I got this issue taken care of. Been mowing a lot with it and at idle no oil light anymore.

/ 455 Oil Pressure #12  
Craig, just finally got around to doing this job - it was pretty simple, thanks to your instructions. When I disassembled the original valve, my spring, like yours, was way shorter than the minimum spec. The oil light now goes off immediately, and although I have no means of measuring the oil pressure, I am sure it is better.

Seems like this should go under routine maintenance for the Yanmars, after 10 years or so.

Thanks again!

Tim

/ 455 Oil Pressure
Glad to hear it worked out. Not an issue with my oil light since the fix.

/ 455 Oil Pressure #14  
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread !

How did you guys remove the end cap off the oil relief valve ?

There are some flat parts on the cap and the valve which I had a 17mm spanner and an adjustable on, but I've now managed to round the flats on the cap and it hasn't budged. Is it actually threaded or is it pressed on? Wondering if it could be hammered out with a punch from the oil filter end somehow?

BTW, the reason I'm trying to take it apart is that I've just added an oil pressure gauge and it looks to be reading lower than the spec, at least according to the gauge which is saying 42 psi when full throttle when 'cold' but drops to 30 psi maybe when fully up to temperature, and is showing near 0. Oil light doesn't come on though.

/ 455 Oil Pressure #15  
ribouk
:welcome: to TBN
end cap off the oil relief valve

Do you have a reference or pic of this "end cap"? I don't find it yet in jdparts.

Is this part referenced earlier in this thread?

Are you planning to pull out the hydraulic pressure valve behind the oil filter and replace that spring ?? or something else?

/ 455 Oil Pressure #16  
Guessing you already have this page from the manual. Step 3. remove cap and add shims.
Not sure what “stake to valve body” means. Could there be a pin through it or is it crimped on. Can you post a pic of it? Don’t be embarrassed by any damage you may have done, we’ve all been there.

7DC51393-0253-47AD-8937-3048A459853E.png

/ 455 Oil Pressure #17  
ribouk
:welcome: to TBN
Thanks!

Do you have a reference or pic of this "end cap"? I don't find it yet in jdparts.

I believe they only sell the entire "Hydraulic pressure valve" as AM880983, which is everything, spring, cap, and valve body - quite expensive list price at my dealer at about $120.

Is this part referenced earlier in this thread?

Yes the part in the diagram earlier in the thread.

Are you planning to pull out the hydraulic pressure valve behind the oil filter and replace that spring ?? or something else?

Yes that's the plan, the manual has measurements for the spring in compressed and uncompressed states. So I was going to measure and check if it's within the specifications, and if not then see if I can find a suitable compression spring... or worst case replace the whole thing.

But I'm stuck being unable to remove the cap right now.

Guessing you already have this page from the manual. Step 3. remove cap and add shims.

Yes, saw that. Doesn't explain how to remove the cap, no reference to the flats on it, and the guys on the thread haven't mentioned that bit.

Not sure what 都take to valve body means. Could there be a pin through it or is it crimped on. Can you post a pic of it? Don't be embarrassed by any damage you may have done, we've all been there.
View attachment 615805

Nor me. Yes sure; here's a few photos of it, with the damage I've done to it !

You can see where I've chewed up the thread on the 'cap' part. The flats on the main part fit a 17mm spanner, but the cap flats were smaller than that... slightly larger than 15mm hence the adjustable. Any thoughts on how it's removed?

You can also see the Yanmar part number for the housing... using that I did a bit of detective work and I *think* that the valve unit is Yanmar part number 119225-35300 which I can get cheaper at $72 (assuming that it really is the exact same part !).

But I'd still like to check the spring length, and try to find just a spring before replacing it. I've also ordered another oil gauge in case it's a bad pressure reading on my existing gauge.

Attachments

• oil1.JPG
    oil1.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 75
  • oil2.JPG
    oil2.JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 71
  • oil3.JPG
    oil3.JPG
    34.2 KB · Views: 67
  • oil4.JPG
    oil4.JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 80
  • oil5.JPG
    oil5.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 72
   / 455 Oil Pressure #18  
Just tried pushing the canister/valve part by pushing a bolt through the oil filter end. It pushes down against the spring maybe 10mm or so and then stops... so I'm thinking it might be possible to hammer/push the cap off from the inside that way, but not sure if it'll damage the valve depending on the force needed.

/ 455 Oil Pressure
Its been awhile but I don't recalling having that much trouble getting mine apart.