4520R exhaust adequate for pest erradication?

/ 4520R exhaust adequate for pest erradication? #1  

LindenBruce

Gold Member
Tractor
Husky GT2654, Branson 4520TLB
Hello All,

Is there enough poisonous gases coming from the exhaust system on a newer 4520R to duct it into a gopher hole and kill the "B"-Turd? I have several active dens of pocket gophers that are driving me nuts. I can't use baits or poison because of my pets. I have tried flooding to no avail. I tried a 15 minute road flare to no avail. I guess it's getting down to standing there for an hour with a shotgun to blow the little turkey up when he pops his head out. Thanks, B.

/ 4520R exhaust adequate for pest erradication? #3  
You can save money and achieve the same effect mixing propane and oxygen for the right mix with your welding torch. Run the mix down the gopher hole for about two minutes then ignite with a piezo barbecue lighter. It's safer to run the mix down the hole with a half inch iron pipe with the piezo lighter attached to it so you can fire it without sticking your hand in the hole. It may not work but it's lots of fun. The trick is finding the hole containing the gopher in the first place.

/ 4520R exhaust adequate for pest erradication? #5  
Years ago when I was a golf caddy the greenskeepers used the same gas that was once used in KY, where I live now, to fumigate tobacco plant beds. The plants are grown differently now but I suspect that same poison gas is still sold for pest control? In California it might be a much different access issue? Comes in a can similar to freon/AC small cans. As caddies on rain out days we flushed the gophers out using water hoses then shot at them with arrows, slingshots, etc.. Read up on their hole systems before you waste any time. PETA is watching you?:ROFLMAO:

/ 4520R exhaust adequate for pest erradication? #6  
I can't say that the tractor exhaust will be very effective as a poison, but it may be enough of an irritant to drive them up and out of the other end of the hole?

I'm sure you couldn't use this method where you are, but I have in the past here, used a "weed burner" type propane burner to blow a jet of flame down a gopher hole. It worked in driving the gophers out of the other end of the tunnel, where shots were fired in anger at the little 'bastages, and a brief funeral was held for them.

We were in a normal rainfall year that year, so everything was plenty wet and green. I don't know if you'd be able to do same, as you're so much more arid and dry there. Most years here we don't worry much about brush or grass fires.

/ 4520R exhaust adequate for pest erradication? #7  
Unless the diesel engine is under load its exhaust will be mostly air.

/ 4520R exhaust adequate for pest erradication?
Got it thanks guys. I was affraid the exhaust was going to be too clean. I do have a propane weed torch. I might give that a try and see if they flush out the other side. My dog Peanut will take care of them from there. B.

/ 4520R exhaust adequate for pest erradication? #9  
I have in the past here, used a "weed burner" type propane burner to blow a jet of flame down a gopher hole. It worked in driving the gophers out of the other end of the tunnel, where shots were fired in anger at the little 'bastages, and a brief funeral was held for them.
You're a very decent man, Slim. I hope you didn't feel to much killer's remorse. :LOL:

/ 4520R exhaust adequate for pest erradication? #10  
I found this video that covers several methods of catch gophers. It looks like it was made back in the '70's, but it is quite educational and offers several alternatives.