4410 Steering Wheel Tilt Fix

/ 4410 Steering Wheel Tilt Fix #1  

Dennisfly

Gold Member
Lake Anna, Virginia and Alleghany County, VA
Tractor
John Deere 4410
I have a new to me 4410 with the tilt steering adjustment lever jammed in one position, but the tractor steers fine. The steering shaft angle is movable through part of its range. I followed the service manual instructions to remove the unit, but when I try to remove the control panel (instrument cluster) as instructed (lift up and remove), I can't do it because of the jammed tilt lever. Many of the pieces are plastic so I can't pull too hard. Any suggestions or should I just put it back together and live with it?

Attachments

• 20201022_174355.jpg
    20201022_174355.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 724
  • 20201022_174415.jpg
    20201022_174415.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 571
  • 20201022_174447.jpg
    20201022_174447.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,717
   / 4410 Steering Wheel Tilt Fix #2  
The lever looks like a $16 part.. I'd be thinking of putting some pressure on it.. take my chances.. Good luck.

/ 4410 Steering Wheel Tilt Fix #3  
It comes off with the housing. Reach underneath and spread the ears to unsnap them from the slide mechanism. The holes in illustration #37 will be clipped onto the two round ears on illustration #30. You will most likely find some of the teeth broken on illustration #29. Going back together you will see the bottom of part 37 is flared so it will snap back over the two posts but you have to guide it just right.

steering-wheel-parts.jpg

Here is a photo of the parts illustrated as #29. You can find reproductions on eBay or Amazon.
steering-guide.jpg

/ 4410 Steering Wheel Tilt Fix #4  
That is sure a helpful post by Tractorguy. Awesome info. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

/ 4410 Steering Wheel Tilt Fix
Thanks TractorGuy and Beenthere. I tried again today but the adjusting handle (part 37) is stuck so tight I can't get the control panel up far enough to release it. I want to use the tractor in the next few days, so rather than breaking something and putting myself out of commission, I just put it back together. On my next attempt, I'm thinking about cutting the top of the release lever with a grinder which will allow me to remove the control panel and access the inside to release it from part 29. A couple of pieces of pot metal like teeth fell out of the area when I was trying to remove it, so I'm sure part 29 is toast. If I can some how clamp the tilt in the desired position I would be happy as I'm the only driver.

I'll check back in after my next attempt!

/ 4410 Steering Wheel Tilt Fix #6  
I wouldn't cut or tear anything up. It's not that hard to get on or off once you get the feel of it. The last time I did mine I was able to reach my fingers up from underneath the rear of the panel and spread the ears. They don't have to move far to unhook from the posts. If you can''t get your fingers in you may need to look underneath with a flashlight and pry them open with a long skinny screwdriver. When you are putting it back on the part has channels that will spread the ears as you push. All you have to do there is get the channels guided onto the posts and push from the top.

Here is how it needs to move once you release them. The off arrow is facing towards the front of the tractor.
steering-wheel-parts.jpg

Thanks TractorGuy. I appreciate your additional input. As it is now, the wheel is full forward with the release lever in the full forward (down) position and I can't raise the control panel high enough to even see the base of part 37. On my next attempt I'll try everything again before resulting to the grinder. As I see it, if I use the grinder, it will just cost me an additional $16 for another one.

I used a grinder to cut through the handle of part 37 which allowed me to remove the control panel. I then released the base of part 37 and threw it away. The teeth on parts 29 and 33 are damaged and broken. They are small and made of soft metal and, in my opinion, severely under-designed. This is apparently a common event on 4X10 series tractors. I placed a worm gear type hose clamp as indicated in the pictures and tightened it with a wrench. This locks the steering column in a neutral tilt position. I put it all back together and it works fine. I have two vehicles with tilt steering and after setting them initially, they haven't been changed in years!

I'm not recommending anyone do this and I take no responsibility for anyone trying it.

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 427
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 416
   / 4410 Steering Wheel Tilt Fix #10  
I used a grinder to cut through the handle of part 37 which allowed me to remove the control panel. I then released the base of part 37 and threw it away. The teeth on parts 29 and 33 are damaged and broken. They are small and made of soft metal and, in my opinion, severely under-designed. This is apparently a common event on 4X10 series tractors. I placed a worm gear type hose clamp as indicated in the pictures and tightened it with a wrench. This locks the steering column in a neutral tilt position. I put it all back together and it works fine. I have two vehicles with tilt steering and after setting them initially, they haven't been changed in years!

I'm not recommending anyone do this and I take no responsibility for anyone trying it.
Question for you! I would like to clamp my tilting steering wheel in place as well. Did you just leave the broken part numbers #29 and #33 in there and clamp right over the top of them? Hard to tell from your photo.