4400 will not crank.

/ 4400 will not crank. #11  
Sounds like the starter solenoid is not getting trigger voltage when key is turned to start position. Check the seat switch and any neutral/PTO/safety switches. If all these test good check the ignition key switch.

/ 4400 will not crank.
So to me, this means the starter and solenoid do work, and the battery is good.
While I was doing this I did have the ignition key in the run position, but the engine still did not start.
I pulled the ignition key assembly out, then tried to test the white wire from the back of the ignition key to the solenoid.
I could not get a signal through from the white wire in the electrical connector at the back of the key to the solenoid.

Attachments

• jd1.jpg
    jd1.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 70
   / 4400 will not crank.
Neutral safety switch seems to have been bypassed, I am looking through the manual at the moment trying to understand the wiring diagram to see if the pictured white wire below driver's seat on the left is the neutral safety wire. The picture is taken from behind the tractor to the left side.

Attachments

• jd3.jpg
    jd3.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 73
   / 4400 will not crank. #14  
Neutral safety switch seems to have been bypassed, I am looking through the manual at the moment trying to understand the wiring diagram to see if the pictured white wire below driver's seat on the left is the neutral safety wire. The picture is taken from behind the tractor to the left side.
That may be where the seat switch was. Crimp on terminals like those are suspect - may want to verify they haven't corroded by measuring continuity across them

/ 4400 will not crank.
I may have the incorrect wiring diagram as I believe this diagram shows 3 red and 1 dark green wire coming from the key switch.
But my switch has 4 reds a dark green and a white.
How should I test the key switch?

Attachments

• jd5.jpg
    jd5.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 71
   / 4400 will not crank.
That may be where the seat switch was. Crimp on terminals like those are suspect - may want to verify they haven't corroded by measuring continuity across them
Thank you.

/ 4400 will not crank. #17  
I may have the incorrect wiring diagram as I believe this diagram shows 3 red and 1 dark green wire coming from the key switch.
But my switch has 4 reds a dark green and a white.
How should I test the key switch?
Try tracing back from the start relay to the key switch - that will be the wire that needs to be energized in the key start position. If that gets power check the start relay output.

/ 4400 will not crank.
I was refering to the wrong diagram, this one seems more relavent. I plan to get back to it tomorrow, before things get too hot, it was almost 90 deg F here and over 85% humidity.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221022_165241_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20221022_165241_Drive.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 70
   / 4400 will not crank. #19  
Keep at it. Follow the battery voltage. Make sure that it the voltage switches to the appropriate terminals on the switch in accordance with the switch diagram.

/ 4400 will not crank. #20  
I had a similar issue with my 4400. I would try to start and hear a click behind the dash but everything would completely black out on the dash. After about 2 minutes it would light back up and try it again with same result.

I traced the wiring all over the place. Solution was I cleaned up where the ground wire bonded to the frame and replaced the battery terminals. Both connectors had a bunch of broken strands inside the insulation. As soon as high amps were being attempted through the system it would just cut out. Since I did that I haven't had any issue.