3rd Function hoses dragging - looking for a good solution

/ 3rd Function hoses dragging - looking for a good solution #1  

Root Cause

Platinum Member
Tractor
Mahindra 2638
I just installed a grapple. I can see where I need the length of hose on the rare occasion I have to elevate it.
But there is a lot of excess hose dragging even after I coiled it a couple of times.

So what do you all do? Coil it more? Is there a coiled cord like we had on old land lines?

Thanks for all of you who help out.

Dear moderator or owner. Can we get an emoticon for the ignorant and isolated? It would be a good visual to highlight those like me who are handicapped by not buying a tractor until retired.

/ 3rd Function hoses dragging - looking for a good solution #2  
There are things like 'Hose Saver' spring to help in controlling those hoses:

And,

There are others.

For now though, I just coil them up and hook them to my FEL with a lighter duty elastic band so it has enough 'give' to stetch out on those rare occations I need full dump.

/ 3rd Function hoses dragging - looking for a good solution #4  
Rubber tarp strap is what I use.
Same here. I use tie wraps to connect to the hoses. I took the hook off the hose end. The other end I bent the hook so it can't come off where I attached it to the grapple. Hoses make a "sideways S"
These are the grapple hoses. They connect to quick couples on the loader boom.
I needed long hoses for when the grapple is fully dumped. Curled back they dragged the ground.

/ 3rd Function hoses dragging - looking for a good solution #5  
I wrap my hydraulic hoses - front and rear with a heavy duty spiral wound nylon hose wrap material. Looks similar to the old telephone cords that were spiral. Those on my 3-point don't drag. Those for my grapple are held up with double bungee cords. This heavy duty spiral hose wrap was obtained at a hydraulic supply outlet in Spokane. I've seen several types/styles of the same thing on the internet.
IMG_0001.jpeg
IMG_0161.jpeg

/ 3rd Function hoses dragging - looking for a good solution #6  
You only have ONE remote? Myself I always buy the maximum amount plus flow control. Might not use all of them regularly but a 'bird in the hand is always worth 2 in the bush. I see your outside (under a shed roof) is taking it's toll on your paint job (like mine). Orange turns to Mary Kay pink with a layer of oxidation too.

I've never used anything but rubber tarp straps and I usually hook the tarp strap hook into a zip tie on the hose(s).

/ 3rd Function hoses dragging - looking for a good solution #7  
5030 - yea, only one. You bet - there are times I wish I had three or more. The change in color also. So it's called Mary Kay pink. I always wondered. I replace the bungee cords every 3 to 4 years. The bucket locator standoff makes a good attachment point for the bungees.

Also notice - everything wide open. NO mice or chipmunks. Seems to be a more permanent solution than - spring traps, dryer sheets, bucket traps, bait blocks - etc, etc. The critters do not like the wide open spaces.

/ 3rd Function hoses dragging - looking for a good solution #8  
I've enlisted a couple of my wife's barn cats. Problem is, I get paw prints on the hoods.

Actually, it's much less expensive to get all the remotes and flow control when you buy a unit as opposed to adding later, even though remotes are a dealer (not builder) added item.

/ 3rd Function hoses dragging - looking for a good solution #9  
Over the 40 years out here - I've had many barn cats. They are the #1 best for mice and chipmunks. However - they are slowly but surely lost to the coyotes and owls at night and hawks by daylight. I provided supplemental food and water. They had unlimited access to one of my outbuildings for shelter. But gone is gone. In the spring the cats would do a "mud dance" and then jump on the hood of my pickup. Muddy paw prints and great loooong skid marks.

Really - about 99% of the time I don't need the added remotes. The only implement where they would be used is my Rhino rear blade. All my other implements have no hydraulic features.

/ 3rd Function hoses dragging - looking for a good solution #10  
We've got barn cats and they multiply about the same speed that they disappear. I think coons get some of the young ones. We do have a great horned owl nesting nearby.