3pt Backhoe on a GC series?

/ 3pt Backhoe on a GC series? #1  

dnw64

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B3030 Cab
I have one project in mind I could use a backhoe for. It's digging outside a foundation to redo waterproofing and drainage. The footing is only about 3' below the surface so I don't need any great reach.

As you can see from my signature, I have a GC2300. The way I see it I have a few options to consider:
  • Get a FEL and 3pt backhoe for this tractor.
  • Buy a different GC (maybe a 2400 or 1705) that already has a FEL and get a 3pt backhoe.
  • Buy different GC TLB

I'm sure that if I had a backhoe I would find more projects for it, but I don't see using it on a regular basis. How feasible is a 3pt on a GC series? For my current machine, I have just the factory 2-valve joystick that's currently used for the snowblower. What would be involved hydraulics-wise to operate a backhoe?

FWIW, my son has a mid '60s Massey TLB (not sure the model/size, but around 50hp I'd guess) and my son-in-law has a Kubota excavator. So larger projects can be easily covered. I'd mostly like to be able to do small projects without counting on someone else (both are very dependable, that's not the point, I like to be independent).

/ 3pt Backhoe on a GC series? #2  
Not sure you will find a 3pt backhoe for a subcompact or at least one at a reasonable price if they exist. I would either get a new GC1710/20 or rent a mini excavator for that foundation work.

/ 3pt Backhoe on a GC series? #3  
My vote is for renting a mini excavator digging near the foundation as well.

/ 3pt Backhoe on a GC series? #4  
Oh and I agree that independents is essential, it is for me as well. I have rented equipment many times over the years so not to bother anyone. My brother is a heavy equipment operator and brings home machinery all the time but I just like doing things on my own and when I have time to do it not when someone else has time to do it.

/ 3pt Backhoe on a GC series? #5  
I have seen one member who posted about putting a backhoe on a subcompact. It was a long time ago.

The frame needs to be beefed up, and it's going to be expensive.

I would suggest you swap it out for a TLB, before you do that.

You will no doubt find lots of uses for a TLB, and they are great to have.

Option #4 is to rent. I own lots of nice stuff, and still will rent, if it's going to make my life easier.

I would get a mini excavator to dig the basement walls. To dig a wall up for waterproofing, a mini excavator with a boom that is offset to one side, allows you to dig right along side the wall. It's much easier to dig, and you will end up with a much narrower trench.

Because of the outriggers, and the boom being centered on a subcompact backhoe, you can't dig right along side the wall. So, it is not an efficient way to do this.

In your case, It may not matter much if it's only 3'.

When I do basement walls, I back fill to within 12" of the surface with washed stone. So, having a narrow trench saves time and money.

For running drainage pipes, unless you are running them through the woods, you can't beat renting a 6" trencher. It's much faster, and the back fill is powdered. If you fill the trench with water, and back fill it, there is almost no settling.

Compare that to using a 10" or 12" bucket on a backhoe, which is the smallest you can use most of the time. They result in a 12" to 14" wide hole, (if you are really good at digging), and, it has to settle sometimes for years.

/ 3pt Backhoe on a GC series?
The problem with renting is that I am not going to be able to just start and finish the job - I have two days a week to work on this project. The offset boom would definitely be an advantage.

At this point I am most likely going to buy a new 1710 TLB. Our "local" dealer is offering me a really good price and The Boss has pre-approved me.

/ 3pt Backhoe on a GC series? #7  
I'd agree, David. When I bought mine, I asked about the possibility of adding a BH later, and was told the same thing Ray said-- that the frame on the 2310 model was specifically "beefed up" to support the BH, and that putting one on later would not work well, if at all. That was one issue that led me to pay extra for the TLB version. I haven't regretted it, though Ray does make a very valid point about an offset boom-- I've run into that situation several times.

Renting might be a good way to go, though I'd also add that having my BH when I want it has been great. When you need it, there's just no substitute. Add a thumb to the BH, and it really becomes useful.

One thing I did to mine which has made a HUGE difference in removing & (especially) re-installing the BH was to add three 24" hydraulic extension lines to the BH. That allows me to just get close to the BH with the tractor, hook up, then raise the BH to re-attach. The extra lengths then just safely tuck into the base of the BH.

The OEM hoses are so short that I found it nearly impossible to hook them up because the tractor had to be so close to the BH that there was too little room to even get your hands/arms in easily. (Lots of 4-letter words involved, along with a lot of sweat!) Now, it only takes me about 7-8 minutes to put the BH back on.

Good tip. I do plan to stop in and see you at some point. Thanks.

/ 3pt Backhoe on a GC series? #9  
The problem with renting is that I am not going to be able to just start and finish the job - I have two days a week to work on this project. The offset boom would definitely be an advantage.

You could dig out a 3' foundation in 1/2 a day, and send the machine back. So, two days are plenty. A min ex, is not good for putting in stone, and foundation back fill anyway.

Later, when you are read to fill, you use your new tractor, or rent a loader to finish the job.

You could dig out a 3' foundation in 1/2 a day...

Theoretically, yes.

But this job is a lot more complicated because of the configuration of the house - 4 decks, an attached shed, and 2 chimneys that I will be removing as part of this project. Plus there are two "addition" type parts of the building that have to be worked around., so an extra 8 corners to work with.

I will need to fully complete one section at a time, including the obvious excavation, waterproofing, drainage and before backfilling I also need to install some kind of protection to the foundation* above grade - it currently has wood shingles that go all the way down to grade...

Lastly, there is currently no drainage, and I can't daylight it. So I will have to get under the footing to get to a sump pit that I will have to make in the basement.

*it's a wood foundation.