3pt Auger

/ 3pt Auger #1  

ClintStein

Tractor
John Deere 5065E
why does my auger sway left and right when trying to dig?

/ 3pt Auger #3  
And, do you have rocks?

/ 3pt Auger #4  
Three point hitches don't have precision fittings. The tolerances that let you easily slide lift pin through a ball and a pin through the top link connection allows a certain amount of play. If the balls on the lift arms are worn, throw a little more slop in the mix. I've never had as much problem digging straight side to side as I have had front to back. I get off the tractor and check now, it saves a lot of digging.

/ 3pt Auger #5  
Your three point hitch arms probably sway side to side. This can be adjusted…if you want to tighten it from swaying.
The other way to think about it, is it sways because as the auger digs and hits obstacles or uneven material it will search (sway) for the least resistance path.
If the auger can’t sway and angle it itself around a rock, or lift the rock out, something is going to snap, break or stall.
Personally, I leave some play in the lift arms as I think things are less likely to break when the system has some “give” in it.

/ 3pt Auger #6  
Your three point hitch arms probably sway side to side. This can be adjusted…if you want to tighten it from swaying.
The other way to think about it, is it sways because as the auger digs and hits obstacles or uneven material it will search (sway) for the least resistance path.
If the auger can’t sway and angle it itself around a rock, or lift the rock out, something is going to snap, break or stall.
Personally, I leave some play in the lift arms as I think things are less likely to break when the system has some “give” in it.

You can trust the guy with the auger in his avatar. Lol.

/ 3pt Auger #7  
You need a tree transplanting auger for digging post holes as it creates less stress on the auger and reduction gearing by creating
a larger hole and pulling more dirt and rocks away from the hole that can fall back in in and jam against the auger.

/ 3pt Auger #8  
A 3pt auger usally has high u-joint angles on the pto shaft. If the pto shaft is not phased correctly, it will be trying to speed/slow the auger twice per revolution which will induce vibrations (worse at high angles). Just be sure the u-joints are phased correctly.

Driveshaft Phasing & Its Importance.

/ 3pt Auger #9  
Has anyone had a ball socket freeze up on their auger. If so how did you get it loosened up. Thanks