3510I Won't Start When Cold

/ 3510I Won't Start When Cold #1  

cpocobb

Bronze Member
Tractor
Branson 3510
My Branson 3510 is a real bear to start in cold (30's and below) weather. I cycle the glow plugs several times and have tried several throttle positions to no avail. I've even tried a magnetic block heater on the oil pan when I'm close enough to power. It'll crank eventually, but that has to be hard on the starter. How do I check the glow plugs? What else could it be?

/ 3510I Won't Start When Cold #2  
My Branson 3510 is a real bear to start in cold (30's and below) weather. I cycle the glow plugs several times and have tried several throttle positions to no avail. I've even tried a magnetic block heater on the oil pan when I'm close enough to power. It'll crank eventually, but that has to be hard on the starter. How do I check the glow plugs? What else could it be?

Read this thread: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/zetor-century-branson/191245-rough-start-cold-weather-bransons.html

Also give more info. Is it turning over? Is it smoking, if so; white or black? Is the fuel pump running? Do you have good fuel (i.e Winter fuel)?

/ 3510I Won't Start When Cold
Turns over fine, black smoke, pump is running. Fuel is fresh and works fine in my diesel pickup. Once it finally cranks, it sputters for 4 - 5 seconds and then runs fine. Even if I cycle the glow plugs 4 or 5 times, it still can take well over a minute of turning over to crank. I don't turn it over more than 30 seconds or so at a time in fear of overheating the starter.

Read the thread you suggested, cleaned the glow plugs, buss bar and all connections and used a lot of dielectric grease when I put it back together. There was corrosion at the first connection - supposed to be in the 20's in the morning, and we'll see!

Tried it this morning at 28 degrees. No change, same symptoms.

/ 3510I Won't Start When Cold #6  
Id suggest adding anti gel fuel conditioner into the fuel, The battery must be strong, A 3 year old battery wont crank as fast in the winter or give the glow plugs the same power. Try to trickle charge it overnight or put jumper cables on it for 10 min. prior to cranking it over when cold to prove it. The faster the motor spins the easier it will start. Cold weather will put a strain on the battery

/ 3510I Won't Start When Cold #7  
Have you checked to see if your glow plugs are still good ?

I had the same problem as you, until I replaced the glow plugs.

Daves tractor in Redbluff Ca stocks the glow plugs.

Gonna check them next. Need to get a better meter. Thanks!