3302 vs 3901

/ 3302 vs 3901 #1  

tractorpat1961

Tractor
1964 MF 35 special gasoline
I found the 3302 and 3901 used at reasonable prices. Other than obvious hp differences, is there any reason to prefer 1 over the other. My old 1964 mf 35 special works fine, but I want an upgrade

/ 3302 vs 3901 #2  
Are you talking about the new L3302 vs the older 3901? The new 02 series have quite a few upgrades like electric PTO switch, brakes on the left, LED headlights, etc.

If you’re comparing the 3301 to 3901 just go with the 3901 for more power in the same frame.

/ 3302 vs 3901 #4  
I found the 3302 and 3901 used at reasonable prices.
My old 1964 mf 35 special works fine, but I want an upgrade

Your MF 35 weighs about 300 pounds more than the Kubotas, but is 2-WD.

The Kubotas probably have 4-WD.

The Kubota will be more modern but minimal upgrade in capability.

If you want an upgrade in capability you need to move from a 2,700 pound bare weight tractor to a 4,000 pound bare weight tractor. You will notice that upgrade.

Tractor capability is more closely correlated to tractor weight than any other single (1) specification.

Sufficient tractor weight is more important for most tractor applications than increased tractor horsepower. Bare tractor weight is a tractor specification easily found in sales brochures and web sites, readily comparable across tractor brands and tractor models, new and used.

Within subcompact and compact tractor categories, a significant tractor capability increase requires a bare tractor weight increase of 50%. It takes a 100% increase in bare tractor weight to elicit MY-OH-MY!

Last edited:
   / 3302 vs 3901 #6  
I'd be wary of a used 3302. They just came out. Maybe a lemon.

Good point about 4WD, Jeff. Unlike almost all of the other CUT brands, Kubota still has 2WD models. Nothing wrong with that if that is what you want, but be sure you are not assuming it has 4WD.

As for the decision otherwise, it depends on what you are doing. The HP difference may limit the implements, but in that size, maybe not. Are the new features in the 02 version worth less HP to you and your application?

/ 3302 vs 3901
My reference to upgrade was a little vague. My recently added property is hilly, rocky , and had timber cut. Stumps basically cleared, but still a lot of roots, limbs, softball size rocks, underbrush, road wash. Now I need a bucket and grapple to fix roads and remove debris. Plus my MF35 has no roll over protection and weak brakes, that is why I need upgrade. Salesman trying to steer me to new 3302 , but I found a 2015 3901 with 328 hours much cheaper. Both would fit the bill, but I'll need to add 3rd function kit to 3901 for grapple. Thinking the used model is the way for me....but that new model with 0% financing is tempting

/ 3302 vs 3901 #8  
Sit on them both, you may find the updated 3302 is more to your liking. Or, you may even prefer the 3901.

/ 3302 vs 3901 #9  
My recently added property is hilly, rocky , and had timber cut. Stumps basically cleared, but still a lot of roots, limbs, softball size rocks, underbrush, road wash. Now I need a bucket and grapple to fix roads and remove debris.

The 2,700 pound bare tractor weight Kubota 'L' platform is too narrow and too light for the work you project. It will be dangerously unstable.

Consider a Kubota MX platform or Kubota Grand L platform, 3,700 to 4,000 pounds bare weight. Both are wider, heavier and both have readily adjustable rear wheel widths to increase stability.

Both platforms have been in the Kubota lineup over ten years. Plenty of both available used.

I have owned three tractors. The first a 1,900 pound Deere 750 "learner" without a Loader. The second a Kubota 2,200 pound tractor-loader B3300SU package. The third, my 3,500 pound Kubota L3560, is tractor nirvana in my north Florida conditions. Had I early read a thread philosophizing on tractor weight it would have stimulated tractor weight research and I would have omitted purchase of tractor #2, which proved too light for my applications. I purchased tractor #2 seduced by the allure of increased horsepower.

Last edited:
   / 3302 vs 3901 #10  
Are they both hydrostatic transmission? I wouldn't want brakes and treadle on the same side.