Snow Equipment Buying/Pricing 30ish hp cab tractor for mowing and snow clearing

/ 30ish hp cab tractor for mowing and snow clearing #1  

Robert_in_NY

Tractor
Case-IH Farmall 45A, Kubota M8540 Narrow, New Holland TN 65, Bobcat 331, Ford 1920, 1952 John Deere M, Allis Chalmers B, Bombardier Traxter XT, Massey Harris 81RC and a John Deere 3300 combine, Cub Cadet GT1554
Hey guys, my girlfriend is going to buy a tractor soon. All she will use it for is mowing her yard (4-5 acres) and clearing snow from her driveway (it is a large drive that wraps around the house and second garage). Where she lives there is a lot of drifting snow so I told her to look for something with a front snow blower and to get a rear blade also. I cleared the snow there last year with my TN and the snow can get to 6' deep in large drifts if not kept up. I think 30 hp would be a perfect size for her and if it is under 60" that would be a plus as she could use it around the vineyard during the spring-fall.

So here is what I need your knowledge for, I have not followed compact tractors very close lately. What models will do what she needs and be simple to operate? It will be a hydro with FWA but I have not followed individual brands offerings. There are dealers for John Deere, Case-IH, New Holland, Kubota, Kioti, Valtra, Agco, Massey Ferguson, Mahindra, Deutz, Landini and TYM all within 30 minutes of driving from here so the options are all there.

One of the biggest things I am hoping for is that what ever model she gets it is easy to remove and install the mower deck and snow blower. Thanks

/ 30ish hp cab tractor for mowing and snow clearing #2  
Kubota B3030 is a popular choice for this type of work.
Mike

/ 30ish hp cab tractor for mowing and snow clearing #3  
If her two targeted tasks are snowblowing and finish mowing, there is only one logical choice....... the Kubota B3030. If she wants to get into jobs that require a larger tractor, there are a bunch of great cabbed tractors over 30 horse. As good as the 3030 is, it makes no sense to use a much heavier tractor at 10 grand more money to mow and blow snow.

Attachments

• B3030 003.JPG
    B3030 003.JPG
    322.1 KB · Views: 1,224
   / 30ish hp cab tractor for mowing and snow clearing #4  
+ Me on the Kubota B3030 though right now I understand that there are great deals on the B2630 though you can't get that model with a factory cab. The standard blower is 63" I believe, and the mmm's are 60", and 72" and are ground contact mowers. If you leave off the factory cab, the Kubota B2x20 series, and JD 2000 series will also work very well for those chores. They both have drive over suspended mower decks (54", and 60") and both are available with front mounted snow blowers. The standard Kubota blower for the smaller models is 51" with "drift knives" that bring that out to 54", and JD is just now coming out with a 54" blower for that series. I would prefer the JD for finish mowing since the steering geometry is less likely to tear things up, and for the position control, and usuable steering brakes. I like the Kubota for most other things, and the B3030 does have the nice position control on the 3pt.

/ 30ish hp cab tractor for mowing and snow clearing #5  
If her two targeted tasks are snowblowing and finish mowing, there is only one logical choice....... the Kubota B3030. If she wants to get into jobs that require a larger tractor, there are a bunch of great cabbed tractors over 30 horse. As good as the 3030 is, it makes no sense to use a much heavier tractor at 10 grand more money to mow and blow snow.

That's a sweet looking snow machine Ductape!

/ 30ish hp cab tractor for mowing and snow clearing #6  
that is a nice looking machine Ductape. all posts seem to offer good advice. I can only add your choice may depend on what is available if you are buying used. Buying new you have lots of choices. also maybe proximity to the brand dealer location should be factored....just in case and depending on your ability to service. PS, nice to have a girlfriend that ants a tractor:)

/ 30ish hp cab tractor for mowing and snow clearing #7  
I just put a front mount blower (63") on my B3030 and am pleased with how easy the sub frame is to install and remove. Same for the FEL, dropped the sub frame for the blower and had the FEL back on in about 15 minutes, part of that was driving to the concrete pad I park the FEL on when it is off the tractor. It is snowing right now but still not enough to require removal so haven't tried the blower out yet. From pictures posted on this forum I think I will be pleased with its performance.
When I bought the cab tractor all I was thinking about was heated cab for snow removal but, on hot humid days that AC is pretty nice too.
If she decides to get a FEL later it only requires the removal of two spacers from the blowers sub frame mount.

Last edited:
   / 30ish hp cab tractor for mowing and snow clearing
She has no need for a front loader. Her dad has three loader tractors and I have two. This tractor is basically going to be a toy for her to play with around her house as right now she uses an old Farmall A to mow with and I and a friend plow her drive for her but she wants to do it herself.

How does the B3030 handle in snow with turf tires? Would R4's be too hard on the yard? The yard she will mow is basically an open field, she has a lawn service mow the yard inside the driveway around the house.

Just to clarify, I was thinking 30ish hp but it doesn't have to be 30hp. It can be more or less but it has to have a cab. And we have just about every brand available within 30 minutes drive.

/ 30ish hp cab tractor for mowing and snow clearing #9  
Watch out... she might be of mind to replace you with the new Tractor!!!:eek::eek:

Grand to see a SO, having the desire to get a tractor though! Man, lucky guy!!!

No usefull info to share as I don't have a cab model (B7800)

I'll shut up now, green with envy.:p

/ 30ish hp cab tractor for mowing and snow clearing #10  
Another option is to add a cab to a tractor, such as a curtis. This might be a cheaper and open up the options of used tractors. A factory cab would by far be the nicest and be set up for heat, air, defrost and wipers.