3038 tachometer not working

/ 3038 tachometer not working #1  

scootr

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5200 HST, 773 Bobcat, Cat forklift
New owner of 2008 3038 tachometer not working - all fuses are okay. Hr meter works . Whats next?

/ 3038 tachometer not working
An internet search showed this to be a common issue. Many reported a sharp smack on the dash got the tach working again.
Same for us ! Assuming a poor connection, the owner will use an electrical connection cleaner to tighten any to try to fix the issue.

/ 3038 tachometer not working #3  
sounds like an electrical tach rather than mechanical cable. hope an easy solution, regards

sounds like an electrical tach rather than mechanical cable. hope an easy solution, regards
Definitely electrical. (y)
I ran the tractor for an hour or 2 smoothing a hillside and never noticed it... I just push the rpms up until I get the power I needed, but it was driving the old man nuts ... glad he found a way to go towards the fix

/ 3038 tachometer not working #5  
prob wouldn't have happened if it were old school cable driven. but the electrical tach will have more accurate actual hours of operation rather than 540 pto engine rpm per hr of the mechanical tachs if that makes sense regards

The hour meter continued to work even when the tach did not. So that is good.

/ 3038 tachometer not working #7  
An internet search showed this to be a common issue. Many reported a sharp smack on the dash got the tach working again.
Same for us ! Assuming a poor connection, the owner will use an electrical connection cleaner to tighten any to try to fix the issue.

Might also be what is called a "cold solder" ,which can happen during manufacturing, when there was not enough heat to transfer the solder to the other side of the connection and intermittently makes contact. Or perhaps that a connection has cracked on the circuit board. Still potentially fixable.

Just a thought.